Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension Exam

Rate this question

SueEdel

Question

It appears the VA forgot to include my hypertension claim when they did the C&P exams last year in October and November. Odd-but they did not take my BP during the 2012 exams. Just got notice to report next week for a C&P 2.5 hours from home for hypertension (as if driving to Cleveland isn't enough to raise the BP). What exactly do they do during a hypertension exam other than take your BP several times? What should I expect?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

When I had my C&P for Hypertension, all they did was take my BP 3 times using both arms and then the doctor and I talked about my claim.

There was also a short exam by the doctor.

Really nothing to it.

OSC

I was assuming same. Thought it was rather silly that it will be held in an outpatient clinic 2.5 hours away when my own clinic is 10 minutes from home. My hypertension is secondary to chronic pain. Not sure exactly what kind of questions they would ask.

I had my C&P for Hypertension yesterday. The doctor started by saying yes I have Hypertension it's a no brainier. My records showed three occasions of three days of high readings by Navy doctors. And she also noted that I had a stroke while on deployment. She spoke to me for a few minutes and asked if my heart Arrhythmias was diagnosed before I was ever told I had hypertension or after. I told her I just learned about my Heart Arrhythmias two weeks ago and could not take medications because of the complications with memory loss medication. My hypertension started 5years ago. She took my BP reading once. It was high (148/99), and then told me that there are more meds I could take ( I am already taking two meds)to lower it. The exam lasted less than 20 minutes, she said she would write up the report and sent it in, but also asked me to submit for my memory loss due to the stroke. That was my experience and was wonder if it means anything.

• HadIt.com Elder

Did she order a chest Xray?

Your Heart issues may be secondary to the Blood Pressure.

Do you have a BP log? I ask this because you have to show predominant readings of Systolic of 160 and DIastolic of 100 for a 10 percent rating.

J

I had C& P exam in August for increase in my HTN. They will use the DBQ and should measure your BP three times, including one standing. I would suggest taht you keep a log of home BP readings and try to submit it to examiner. I have hypertensive heart disease, secondary to my HTN. This is something you may want to look into as HTN will attack your heart and other organs, such as eyes and kidneys over time.

I just got my VA Dr. to fill out the DBQ, she was really nice about it to. She is the Dr. who first notice I had Hypertension and HBP. She also the one who put me on the meds. I went to my psychologist and asked him to do the same (DBQ) for my MH. He said no, it would take him 3 hours to do it. But he did tell me to ask for all my MH records and that would be better than a DBQ. So I have done that. Now just waiting on them to come. I have been rated for hypertension but got (0) rating so for. Next month I go to my psychiatrist and I will ask him to fill out his DBQ for me, now just waiting on time.