Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Wonder Abt Mechanics And The Brake Dust We Inhaled

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I believe that the old trucks we worked on, like the duece and a half, 5 ton, HET , ect, had asbestos brake linings. I worked on ALOT of breaks im my 5.5 years in the army. we never were issued any breathing appratus, never hosed the pads down before working on them, no precautions really. I wonder how many soldiers have asbestos in thier lungs, that will turn cancerous in thier lives. (asbestos particles stay trapped in the lungs, and u get asbestosis).

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The same goes for all the old schools that had heating pipes wrapped in asbestos, when we were kids. There is no cure and you will eventually die of asbestos exposure, if something else doesn't kill ya first.

I did some research when my Mom died of mesothelioma in 2004. You'd be surprised what had/has asbestos in it.

pr

Yes I recall we used to pull it off the pipes, and crush it, and we called it fart rocks, because it would let of a really bad smell when it was crushed.

the litlle 7x7 floor tiles in most old houses were made partially of asbestos also. its amazing that no one ever figure out it was bad until all the years passed.

Edited by 63SIERRA

Yes I recall we used to pull it off the pipes, and crush it, and we called it fart rocks, because it would let of a really bad smell when it was crushed.

the litlle 7x7 floor tiles in most old houses were made partially of asbestos also. its amazing that no one ever figure out it was bad until all the years passed.

my dad worked in an aluminum smelting plant, and it was everywhere. I recall him bringing it home and we would wrap the exhaust pipes on our little mini trail bikes with it. It was in his clothes. and we would climb up on him. Im sure MANY people have it in thier lungs, and dont know it.

• HadIt.com Elder

We lived in Meredith, NH, during the late 70's, where my neighbor worked at the asbestos plant, in the center of downtown. He came home w/the asbestos powder on his clothes everyday. He died in his early 40's of asbestosis. There were so many car parts and building materials that had asbestos in them. The local plant used to dump their waste at our local dump.

When I hired the attys, for my Mom's case, they flew out to see me and brought photo catalogs of asbestos laden products to help me ID some of those that we were exposed to during her lifetime. I now get my lungs x-rayed at least once a yr, just in case.

pr

I remember when I was FIRE INSPECTOR with the federal government we had to inspect all the building on post. Now remember most of the building was pre dated WWII BUILDING, or shortly built afterward most was heated by steam which all the supply and returned pipe was wrapped by with asbestos made material. So yes I THINK I WAS EXPOSED TO IT

• HadIt.com Elder

A couple of points to remember. Asbestos in a state where it is in pipe insulation, as long as it was covered and painted is rendered harmless. The African Amosite asbestos was covered by a lagging sheet made out of Chrysotile asbestos. The Chrysotile asbestos was used because it had fiber strands and could be woven into sheets like a roll. The amosite on the other hand was not as fiberous anbd could be worked into the inside of the pipes. Once the outer cover was tore open then the amosite would easily become airborne. This was the big worry with amosite as it is the most deadly as the fibers are small and are ingested into the lungs. African Amosite was the worst. When we ripped it out of ships and subs, we had to wear full body suits with opositive air pressure masks and we used a lot of water to keep it wet.

Some of the uses I have personally ripped out are :

Steam Piping.

Hot machinery covering.

Soundproofing wall material

Deck insulation above engine and fire rooms.

Some examples of ripping the outer layer of pipe insulation:

Riggers moving machinery would often bump the insulatiuon and rip it open.

Nit Pickers who didnt like the way it looked. They were the worst. I got a few in hot water for it,.

Many many sailors who like their clothes nice and neat who would poke holes into the insulation with coat hangers.

Once it got into the ventilation system it was sucked out of the compartment and then went through the entire ship. The filters could catch some but not all.

Finally, asbestos used in brake pads is chrysotile.

Jbasser