VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Radiculopathy...

Rate this topic

Well the guy who told me appears not to be working for the VA any longer. He was a "resident" who was a anesthesiologist working on getting another degree but he was working in Pain Management. Now I see the real Neurologist who knows exactly what is going on with me.

They upped the Gabapentin to 900mg 4x a day, given me amitriptyline for depression and pain and hydrocodone for the pain. I wish there was something better than the high doses of Gabapentin because it sedates the crap out of me and I can't do nothing. I hate that stuff because it causes me to sleep 10 hours a day!!!!

You know I was thinking about the medications. It wasn't Cymbalta but Celebrex they don't dispense. My memory is shot, sorry about that.

How hard is it to get a VA physician to order and EMG or X-rays with dye? I have mentioned it twice now to my provider and she acts like she has never heard of the procedure. I even mentioned that the VAMC in OK has a spine care center but she stated she wasn't aware of such a program. I have told her that I have pain radiating down my legs, more left but still bi-laterally and she acted like she was confused. I have even given her my last two MRi's from this year and she acts baffled. It's a little unnerving. I can't seem to find the certain way I need to stand or walk in order for the shooting pain to be under control and for the numbness to go away. I'm starting to get a little inpatient and aggravated and a little worried as it seems my symptoms are getting harder to manage and keep in check. Ice, stretches and stim unit to the rescue. :unsure:

@rpowell01

Good luck with Pain Management. I had a GREAT doctor but his nurse was a butt. Neither Gaba nor Lyrica worked for me but they started me out with some other stuff. I would for sure tell them what you have been on and what does not work. On active duty I had the Celebrex, it CAN make your BP go up and heart issues, so be careful of that if you get it.

If your pain is a ten, then tell them. If you are falling down that needs to be knows. My memory is shot but the best thing to do is make a simple log to write it down; date, time, pain scale, pain feels like, meds taken, what makes it worse/easier, did something aggravate it because they will always try to say "that is why it is like that, so just kill that bird there), did you fall from the pain. Just something like that or how you like, my memory is gone and I need all the help in the world.

I was unable to walk, went to the VA UC and was diagnosed with "constipation" causing my nerve and muscle pain. OMG

Good luck,

Y#5

• HadIt.com Elder

My shrink put me on 120mg's of Cymbalta a day plus clonazepam. Pain management has me on oxycodone and fentanyl patch. My neck still hurts as does my back. You just get used to it or throw the dice and let them cut on you. I have been cut on twice for shoulder and wrist and both failed. I don't know what to think. I don't want to be any more sedated than I am either. I do fear neck surgery. If they &^%$ that up you are in an Iron Lung.

• 2 weeks later...

I took Lyrica for a few years. Received it from the VA. Your PCP has to be on your side to get it. Every time you order it your PCP has to justify the prescription. Helped for a while. Caused me to gain almost 50 lbs. Quit taking it over a year ago. I've been taking Oxycodone for over a year now to fight the leg and back pain. Currently at 10 mg every 6 hours. If I'm sitting at home I can go about 5 hours before the pain gets so bad I have to take another dose. If I'm up and active I'm lucky to make it 4 hours. Currently taking Venlafaxine for the depression and the pain. Going to tell my PCP next month that it's not working for the depression or the pain. I'm starting to think that a single application of a hollow point to the brain will be the best way to end the pain and depression.