Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Combat Vet Husband Denied All Of His Claims

Rate this question

ArmyWife

Question

So glad I found this forum. When my husband ETSd this past May...nobody really told him to what extent he needed to go through in filing his claims. Letters from doctors? We had no idea about ANY of that. He just filled out the paperwork and sent it off. We called month after month asking the VA when the heck his Dr. apt. was, they said "Oh it should be in about six months,just be patient, just wait." So SEVEN MONTHS LATER, we get a huge envelope in the mail, YES! Its about his doctors appt! WRONG! We were entirely SHOCKED to see that it was the VA, denying all his claims, WHAT? Apparently he missed his appt. which was MAY 1ST. So when he called them asking about his appt, they didn't even look up to see that he had missed it? They never even notified by phone email or mail about his appt. So we called, and they did not give us a clear answer on what to even do. Its totally disheartening. So we raced to the Federal Building downtown (45 minutes from our house)after we received the letter and didn't get anywhere with them on the phone, my husband was on the phone with the VA. in rush hour traffic. We rush in, to be turned away by some fat security officer because apparently the VA doesn't accept people 15 minutes before closing time. it was 3:44. I cried the entire way home.

He is an OIF and OEF Combat Vet who has seen a lot of sh*t. ALOT. Has a crappy back now, he can't even bend his toes. He doesn't sleep,like ever. He just floats through each day, somewhat of a zombie. I have FINALLY talked him into going to the Vet Center to get counseling. He stopped taking his anti-depressants. So when we got the huge envelope, we thought we had caught our break. It is hard for him to keep a job. I just can't believe this happened.Honestly. So we called the DAV, and some guy seemed pretty confident we would figure it out. But honestly, I just don't trust anyone at this point. And I am really not sure what we should do, since filing an appeal takes months/years. I had no idea they would take the time to even process a claim without the Vet even being at their Dr. Appt.

Please help us, I am trying to put this into God's hands, but here I am on Saturday night surfing the internet for answers.

-Ann

Because of what our generation of vets (Vietnam) the VA should advise all vets that are putting in claims to try their best to present a well grounded claim. I always hear from vets just like the original poster here that put the cart before the horse.

Putting in a "well grounded claim" helps everyone the veteran the VA and all of the many veterans waiting on the appeal slow train!

I say to all vets file your claim but make sure you have dotted all your eyes and crossed your T's because if you don't you are going to get the shanghai treatment and take a couple of years when you could have been done in 6 months!

Stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

When you file a claim you cannot just walk away from it and hope that everyone up the line will take care of their job. You much check up on your claim at least once a month to see what is happening. I was also denied due to the VA cancelling my C&P and then blaming me for missing it. I went to the VARO and told them what happened. I got another C&P which I did not miss and won my claim. Basically, if you miss your C&P your claim is dead. The VA is supposed to go with the information they have when there is not c&p, but they don't do that. They punish the vet and waste his time.

Now that you have been denied you can hire a lawyer. If you think that just writing some stuff and putting it in the mail will win your claim you may need a lawyer.

Ann...you have definitely came to the right place for advice. The great people here at hadit are very knowledgeable about what correct steps your husband needs to take to fix this. I'm sorry you are going through this but make sure to answer all the questions they ask you here so they can point you in the right direction. Thank you to you husband for his service!!

I think they VA should cut some slack to those who filed for mental issues, because they arent prioritizing things rationally. Deppressed people arent looking that far ahead. people suffering PTSD, are living in the memories of thier past in many aspects. The va needs to do more to reach out to these issues. They know the veteran filed a claim, and they know the veteran likely didnt just decide to drop the claim. Once a claim is filed by a veteran, the va should appt that veteran a " liason". A person who that vet can contact, and speak with abt the issues involving thier case, without needing to go thru the 1800 hide and seek regiment. the primary reason to assign the vet a specific contact person, is accountability of the va, to the veteran. The way it is now, its a dont call us, we will call you type system. very distant , and unpersonal. Like we are in a prison system or something.

When the us government send draft cards out to veterans, it was very personal. They called us by name. When they stationed us in the freezing cold hillsides of west germany, they called us by name. When they sent us to the deserts of iraq, to fight the worlds 4th largest army, they called us by name. When they Etched the soldiers names on the wall of honor for vietnam, they called us by name. When the soldier dies, and they carve the head stone, they know us by name. Yet while the veteran is alive, and in need of our country.. They dont even know our name.

So sorry to hear of your situation. This is becoming way too common and makes me sad each time I hear stories like yours. Although I can't make things better, please know that I am grateful for your husband's service to our Country. A lot of good advice has been given to you so please come back and visit the Hadit.com forum often. Try not to get overwelmed...easier said then done, I know. Consider your family a part of our family...Wishing you much good luck in the future and we are always here even if you need to vent.

"I ADVISE & ENJOIN THOSE WHO DIRECT THIS WEBSITE IN THE TOMORROWS NEVER TO ADVOCATE ANY CAUSE FOR PERSONAL PROFIT OR PREFERMENT. I WOULD WISH IT ALWAYS TO BE 'THE TOCSIN' & TO DEVOTE ITSELF TO THE POLICIES OF EQUALITY & INJUSTICE TO THE UNDERPRIVILEGED.

IF THIS WEBSITE SHOULD AT ANYTIME BE THE VOICE OF SELF-INTEREST OR BECOME THE SPOKESMAN OF PRIVILEGE OR SELFISHNESS IT WOULD BE UNTRUE TO ITS HISTORY."

God Bless you all and Good Luck.

LOOSE CANNON

For Real Solutions For Positive Change Visit http://www.veteranwarriors1.com/index.html