Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Envelope Recieved, Need Massive Help Please

Rate this question

usdart

Question

They want more Evidence so I have to fill out some forms.

21-0781

21-4138

21-0781a

Since my VSO has flown the coup I am lost.

What are some key words I should use in my descriptions that will help?

I do not have a puple heart or any of the list of Service medals.

Is a Viet Nam ribbon a Combat Action Badge?

Can I use my DD214 which says I participated in 'Operation Rock Crusher'.this was the routing of the enemy during the incursion into Cambodia. The last major campaign of the War. Wikipedia has a very good discription of it that I can also include. I was never officially awarded this either and should have been according to my DD214.

My 'stressors' were incured during this Offensive so I want to describe them using the right verbage to shine the brightest light I can.

Edited by usdart

Being in there should be enough, but since they are following up means they need specifics. I first off I am sorry you will have to rehash this. Preferrably between a 3 month date range. They will need if possible names of wounded or killed. Maybe date of attacks. Mortar or incoming. Something to verify. The vsm is good enough to buy exam based on new relaxed standards, but the above information will be needed. BE SPECIFIC on events names placed. They need that to verify or corroborate claim since you didn't have recognized medals/badge. Jmho

Being in there should be enough, but since they are following up means they need specifics. I first off I am sorry you will have to rehash this. Preferrably between a 3 month date range. They will need if possible names of wounded or killed. Maybe date of attacks. Mortar or incoming. Something to verify. The vsm is good enough to buy exam based on new relaxed standards, but the above information will be needed. BE SPECIFIC on events names placed. They need that to verify or corroborate claim since you didn't have recognized medals/badge. Jmho

Wholly cow, This was 44 years ago! I remember certain incidents very clearly, but, names, dates etc are long gone. I can draw a picture of gun emplacements, burm, wire, entrance and culverts we covered with sandbags to sleep in, mess tent, FDC bunker. But I had just been re-assigned to that unit and did not know anyone. My old Unit was Deactivated and they reassigned me because I still had 6 months to do in country. We moved the Gun emplacements every 7 days following the Infantry units to fire direct support for them. There was no Village near us that I ever saw other than Ahn Loc when I was first in Country. I spent the entire year out in the Field under constant fire. My DD214 shows the 2 different Units and even the 2 different MOS's,. I was only 19 and I am 62 now.

Things are not looking good for me!

Edited by usdart

First, be honest and complete as you can with your stressors. The main form that you need is the 21-0781. My husband is a Vietnam Vet. and was there during the TET Offensive. Some of the verbage they are looking for is "horrified", fear for your life or for the lives of others. He didn't remember the names of the other men that had been shot or killed. Cripes how could he remember or even know the names of practically a whole dang platoon being ambushed by the VC. Do you have the dx from a VA psych? Ask your VA psych. to write a statement in support of claim (21-4138) stating that your stressors are related to combat, and how you really are having a hard time functioning in your daily life due to your symptoms of PTSD. We didn't put date of attacks, (Just the time frame) they were happening all the time during TET especially spring/summer of 1968. Try to write out three different ones, they can all be in the same time frame. Send in your DD214 with every claim that you file for. Isolation is another aspect because you do not want to be near people.

Hopefully others will chime in.

First, be honest and complete as you can with your stressors. The main form that you need is the 21-0781. My husband is a Vietnam Vet. and was there during the TET Offensive. Some of the verbage they are looking for is "horrified", fear for your life or for the lives of others. He didn't remember the names of the other men that had been shot or killed. Cripes how could he remember or even know the names of practically a whole dang platoon being ambushed by the VC. Do you have the dx from a VA psych? Ask your VA psych. to write a statement in support of claim (21-4138) stating that your stressors are related to combat, and how you really are having a hard time functioning in your daily life due to your symptoms of PTSD. We didn't put date of attacks, (Just the time frame) they were happening all the time during TET especially spring/summer of 1968. Try to write out three different ones, they can all be in the same time frame. Send in your DD214 with every claim that you file for. Isolation is another aspect because you do not want to be near people.

Hopefully others will chime in.

That helps alot. The VA started this by telling me I had PTSD. My VA shrink has linked my nightmares to Viet Nam and I have permanant injuries to both my feet from kicking the walls during these dreams. I have had over 25 different jobs since I left the Service. Just can't seem to be happy anywhere. Never fired, just got P-oed and quit alot. Absolutely hate being near people and can hardly speak I am so nervous. I miss meetings at work and they are not happy at all. I just can't bring convince myself to go.

Is that the sort of thing I need to repat?

A good source for obtaining "buddy statements" and unit assignments may be at TogetherWeServed.com

This site has a "find" feature that allows members to type in a unit, etc. and then lists members of that unit who served with you during that time!

It might be worth a look to see if it might refresh your memory. It sure has helped me.

LC