Rate this question

kate7772

Question

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Kate,

You have already filed a claim for him so the VARO should have those SMRs in the C-file. You should be able to make an appointment to see the c-file. You can do a FICA request and get a copy of the entire C-file (recommended). You can also request the records online at the NPRC which is faster than sending or faxing in an SF-180. My 10 years of active duty medical records are "lost in space" because I filed in 1986 and have a protected rating. Hindsight tells me it is wise to have the SMRs or the entire C-file before filing anything else. Look on the evidence list on the decision to see if the SMRs are included. Maybe the VA took the opportunity to deep-six them like they did with mine. Making multiple requests to NPRC with SF-180s sometimes works. If he was ever in a military hospital you might be able to get those inpatient records rather quickly from NRPC with an SF-180 specifying the name of the hospital, address or location and approx. dates of hospitalization. Those records are kept at the military hospital (usually) and thus the VA can't accidentally on purpose "lose" those records. Just be sure to get the NOD in before the one year is up since the decision so you can keep the effective date of your claim alive.

I know it gets frustrating. I am getting up there in age also and very ill most of the time. You may want to think about hiring a good (well recommended) VA Compensation Attorney as 75% of something is better than 100% of nothing. We just have to relax and wait it out which is much easier said than done. I kinda feel for the young WOT Vets. They are looking for “instant gratification” on the fast track and all too often end up with a denial or lowball. This is a marathon race not a sprint. It just takes some time (years maybe) but there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, we just have to wait for the rain to end.

Edited by GatorNavy

• HadIt.com Elder

If you hire a lawyer he/she will want a copy of your C-File and probably your SMR's. What Gator says about getting your SMR's is true. You can order them online at the NPRC website. You may get a very incomplete record.

Well, we contacted the regional office and were told that they had the records but we could not view or receive them from there. Will need to contact Louisville, KY where all Camp Lejeune claims were sent. Could take 3-4 months. Ordered them through the VSO here. Will have the IMO started and wait on the records to complete.