VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vamc Psychiatrist Calling Me A Liar On Pain Issues

Rate this topic

He was just my inpatient one and has never seen me but for a few weeks. He is not my regular psychiatrist anyway. I might try to call the patient advocate today. Thanks

vet201060, (and all others on Hadit)

You need to get copies of ALL of your VAMC medical records including: all of the imaging, medical and mental Progress Notes, Problems List, Labs, Medications, Procedures--EVERYTHING! If you have had any kind of operation or procedure or have been admitted to the facility, you will have paper records and you want those also.

Download VA Form 10-5345a INDIVIDUALS' REQUEST FOR A COPY OF THEIR OWN HEALTH INFORMATION. It is attached to this post. The ROI at your VAMC will provide you with the form also, but I prefer to take the time to fill it out exactly as I want it. You decide on that.

FACILITY WHERE TREATED: YOUR VAMC

DATES OF TREATMENT: FROM THE FIRST DAY YOU WENT TO THAT VAMC TO PRESENT.

PUT A CHECK MARK IN "OTHER." Then in the box write:

"ALL Records maintained at this facility including, but not limited to, all imaging, all physical and mental health Progress Notes, Problems List, Labs, Medications, List of appointments, and all other electronic/paper documentation of my treatment and care at this facility."

PUT A CHECK MARK IN "IN PERSON." Please release this information directly to me in digital format on CD.

Sign and date the form in blue ink.

Go to the Release of Information Office and present the completed form. Inform the person handling this release that you want all of the imaging on CD as well. That person will most likely send you to the Imaging department where CDs will be made of all MRIs, CTscans, X-rays, etc. Some times the Imaging Department will ask for a separate release form. A signed original copy of the form you gave the ROI will usually suffice.

The ROI will have to get permission from your mental health care provider to release any MH information. This is usually not a problem. However, you seem to be in a pissing contest with one particular MH provider. If it becomes a problem, you can have the information released to another person (your wife, parents, etc. or another provider). I would only involve the Patient Advocate if you run into static from this individual. In that case, I would not only involve the Patient Advocate, but I would also contact the OIG at your RO and the:

Office of Medical Medical Inspector

http://www.va.gov/health/medicalinspector/

1 800 634-4782

If you are forced to involve the OIC and/or OMI have all your ducks in a row! As others have posted, you absolutely do not want to get labeled as "only a drug seeker." How you explain your situation will determine how you are labeled. If you want assistance in preparing your complaint, PM me.

My ROI and Imaging does this right when I am there. I have heard that many others have had to wait for the CD(s) to be mailed to them. The MRIs etc will come on a disk with a "viewer" program that will run on any Windows based computer. (I am not sure about Apple equipment.)

Once you have your records from the beginning of time (at this facility), all you have to do each time you get treatment there is to go to the ROI and fill out the same form requesting "ALL records from the last release to present."

Hope all works out well for you!

vha-10-5345a-fill.pdf

thats good advice guyana Jim, I do the same thing, I have everything, paper, cd with all images, ect. every 6 months I go see "radar" and ask for records from the last visit to present, and they get them right them and there, still warm when they put them in the big brown folder. The proof is in the records. after u get them, take the time to look at every page. also the ct, mri, xrays, you can view them on a home pc without a special program. I have windows 7 and it opened it right up and I could see all the xrays and images.

ps dont waste your time with patient advocate, they are a figurehead, and will NOT even question a doctor, they know thier just a early warning system and the hospital admins gatekeeper and buffer pad.

Edited by 63SIERRA

heres another question if they didnt think you had a back condition and pain , why were they prescribing pain meds in the first place?