Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With Ptsd And Suicidal Attempts

Rate this question

BlastDaddy

Question

I need some help.

I file a claim for PTSD and was awarded 50%. But the C & P showed I should have been higher.

The Beck Anxiety Index score was 56 severe

Depression Inventory II was 49 severe

Global Assessment of Functioning was 41 serious symptoms

I don't want to put the whole C & P on here but I have some issues and they were noted.

I didn't have help with the claim so everything else I claimed was denied.

I didn't think the rating was fair and was looking at the possibility of it being 70% (but oh well)

The VA's reviewers stated although the GAF score stated a 70%-100% It wasn't warranted because I didn't have enough anger issues or my panic attacks wasn't continuous and I didn't show signs of family problems.

I am constantly in a panic state and my first wife left me due to anger issues after returning from the gulf.

Since then I had been having a lot of issues relating to my health. Especially chronic pain all over, headaches, lot's of mental issues. I often think I see apparition's of three dead burnt bodies coming at me.

I went through group counseling for over a year and had an individual counselor for a while. My psychiatrist felt I was suicidal and placed me on the Suicide Watch List.

Back in late 2013 I was hurting so bad and emotionally distraught, I thought these same three burnt up bodies were coming for me so I decided at that point I couldn't stand it any longer. I tried to commit SUICIDE. I took a hands full of medication I thought would put me out.

As a result I ended up in the mental ward at the VA for 4 days. After It wasn't a month after I was released I sliced my wrist trying to kill myself for the second time.

I was referred to mental health and after the first appointment I haven't went back. I feel as if I can't trust them. All the psychiatric doctors at the VA seen my conditions were getting worse but they did nothing for me. Hell they gave me more pills to stop the pain and depression, anxiety and so forth. But they stopped the psychosis pill that help me stop seeing apparitions. They just sat back and let me try and kill myself.

My wife found I could do a Notice of Disagreement so she filled it out and I sent it in.

What should I do now and HOW?

BTW my wife locks up all the medications in the house and gives me them as prescribed to ensure I take them and not try all at once.

You are obviously dealing with a lot. Thank you for your service!

I am glad you have a spouse who is willing to help you.

"I was referred to mental health and after the first appointment I haven't went back."

This can be a doomsday approach for any veteran......it can cause VA to consider lowering a rating or even try to take the rating away, if they feel a veteran is not willing to have treatment of their MH condition.

Meds alone don't help with these conditions at all.

"The VA's reviewers stated although the GAF score stated a 70%-100% It wasn't warranted because I didn't have enough anger issues or my panic attacks wasn't continuous and I didn't show signs of family problems."

The spouse could make a statement in support of your claim , if she has witnessed these attacks and also if there are any anger issues.
My husband often downplayed his anger issues with his VA shrink. He could get very violent...not saying at all that you are....but a spouse experiences a lot more than any doctor ever does.

I am familar with flashbacks, similar to any type of hallucinations or apparitions My husband had what VA called flashbacks ,based on a repetition of terrible events in Vietnam..

My husband said they were like a movie transposed over his vision.

They would make him angry because they never stopped since the Vietnam War.

If they cause you anger or depression I am sure the wife is aware of them and could add that to her statement.

Are you able to scan and attach here the VA Reasons and Bases part of the decision?

Cover name. address, C file number before you scan it.

The NOD.... Can you scan and attach that too here?(Cover personal identifying stuff)

I feel the NOD is the initial attack to a decision and should state why the decision is wrong, based on the established medical evidence VA had as well as the actual rating criteria.

I never filed a NOD without evidence to support what the NOD said.

"The VA's reviewers stated although the GAF score stated a 70%-100% It wasn't warranted because I didn't have enough anger issues or my panic attacks wasn't continuous and I didn't show signs of family problems."

I regret I dont have time to go to the VA SRD here ....but I bet that statement can be challenged.

Are you employed?

If not ,do you receive SSDi solely for the issue they gave 50% for?

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you have filed your NOD you can hire a lawyer to run with this claim. You don't have to do all this on your own. For the VA to rate a vet 50% rather than 70% due to some lack of anger issues is pretty crazy. They will often just reach into the denial/lowball bag and pull something out. One thing I learned is when in doubt: APPEAL and get more evidence.

I sure agree with you John. Here is the VA Schedule of Ratings for all MH disabilities:

"General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name 100

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships 70

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships 50

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events) 30
Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by continuous medication
A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication 0

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=c130ec487ea61b8a40ad0836188b94bc&rgn=div5&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38#38:1.0.1.1.5.2.111.72

Berta,

Also the NOD was simply done on the VA Form 21-0958 and the box marked was evaluation of disability.

In box 16a. It said:

(PTSD Attempted suicide twice, treatment at VA Severity shows 70%-100% Eval. See letter from Mental Health Intensive Case Management Titled MHICM Note, dated 10/18/2013 to show original severity. DXVA Diagnosis of Severe and Persistent Mental Illness).

All they were was Progress notes. They read as.

Diagnosis of Severe and Persistent Mental Illness includes, but is not limited to; Schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major affective disorder, or sever post-traumatic stress disorder.

Patient meets criteria? YES

Severe Functional Impairment is such that the veteran neither currently capable of successful and stable self maintenance in a community living situation nor able to participate in necessary treatment without intensive support.

I don't receive the SSDI,

Do I need to turn in more information than the progress notes? I didn't think a spouses letter would hold up due to being the spouse and they would believe it is fabricated. We turned on in for the original claim.

I know I should go to the mental health for support. But when I missed my appointment they filled it with someone else. When I was reviewing my records I found the information inputted for that appointment wasn't mine. I regret to say I blew up. I called MH and talked to the receptionist about the information not being mine. But I was upset and was threatening to go there and kick the guys ass. The information was removed within 15 minutes but my next appointment with him was canceled. I know I was wrong but I was upset about the information I read.

I definitely believe you should have been given a higher rating, particularly due to this statement:

Severe Functional Impairment is such that the veteran neither currently capable of successful and stable self maintenance in a community living situation nor able to participate in necessary treatment without intensive support.

"The information was removed within 15 minutes but my next appointment with him was canceled. I know I was wrong but I was upset about the information I read."

I don't blame you for being upset, but I sure hope they give you another appointment.

"Do I need to turn in more information than the progress notes?"

Were these notes from a C & P exam that VA had , or from other VA medical records the VA did not consider for the rating?

I feel anything you have that indicates you should be at a higher rating should be copied and then sent to the RO with a 21-4138 as a brief cover letter telling them what you have enclosed.

I keep forgetting the NOD form has changed,.and I am glad they have received it.I have never used that form.

Question:
:"In box 16a. It said:

(PTSD Attempted suicide twice, treatment at VA Severity shows 70%-100% Eval. See letter from Mental Health Intensive Case Management Titled MHICM Note, dated 10/18/2013 to show original severity. DXVA Diagnosis of Severe and Persistent Mental Illness). "

Did the VA consider the letter from MH Intensive Case Management in the decision????

They do admit you need 'intensive' support for treatment. So it should not be held against you that you are reluctant to go to treatment sessions. But that is how VA justifys how they rate vets, and believe me, you might find you will feel better after getting comfortable with a VA MH doctor or therapist.

I gripe about the VA all the time but, as for PTSD, they are the best in the world, in my opinion. They cant cure it but VA can help you deal with it.

I hope others here feel that your rating is too low.

John made a good point. A lawyer might want to go for TDIU, paid at the 100% rate.