Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Retro Held Almost A Year Now

Rate this topic

FullTime

I still waiting on mine when from 80 to 100 percent they finished in August dates back 2010, also I retired, DFAS has done their audit, waiting for the VA, also Iris will give you the same canned answer. But I hit them every two weeks.

Edited by DeeCee

So, I was given 70% almost three years after I retired. I never appealed anything or fought with the VA. The 70% was a partial award because they split the case and went back to evaluate some issues after the award. I ended up getting 100% (380% on that wacky logic scale=100% PT) I got the 70% back pay, then when the 100% award letter came almost a year ago, they never adjusted the back pay and just started paying me at 100% rate. I called about it after 90ish days went by and they indicated that the back pay was evaluated by DFAS already and it was simply a backlog on the payment... that was almost a year ago and nothing. I wonder what the interest would be on about 60K? I was told to fill out a hardship letter to get the back pay faster, that pissed me off that somehow I am supposed to show need over my fellow Vets, so I didn't do it. How Frustrating!!

So...with all the emphasis on moving claims fast (subject of other posts here) and the number of decisions with obvious retro pay issues, I wonder how the VA's disability compensation budget is working out these days? It's not an unlimited pot of money but filled to a set level by Congress each year. They cannot pay out money they don't have.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey confusion. Did they tell you why it took so long to send you your first retro check? Who were you in contact with back and forth with?

The reason it took so long is that they said I never returned the form switching from Navy retirement to VA compensation. After I drove the 200 miles to Houston and sat down with them in front of the computer, the form they claimed they had not received was like the 3rd item that popped up. It was in with all other evidence on a pending claim. They said" it will get processed when they process the claim". I sorta lost it, when she said nothing she could do. I yelled there are 10000 people that work in this VA bldg. Isn't there just one that can pick up this form and process it. It does not belong in the pending claim, it belongs to the completed claim. A week later it was processed and about 3 weeks later I got the retro.

It's Hell to get old...things hurt, things quit working, BUT, it sure beats the alternative.

The VA has more than enough money to pay people there retro benefits.

The problem is the retro earns no interest and capital doesnt grow without interest

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use