Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

No Benzos At San Antonio Vamc

Rate this topic

I've been told that the new policy at the San Antonio VAMC and surrounding clinics is that no benzos will be prescribed any longer. I have panic disorder with agoraphobia, PTSD, MDD, and the anxiety is literally painful at times. I am in therapy when I can get an appointment, and I've been told that CBT will
"ease" my anxiety. In the interim, I should listen to music when I have a panic attack. ????? I'd love to hear back from other vets to see if this is the case in regions around the country. Peace.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that is malpractice. What is CBT? You cannot just stop taking benzos cold turkey. The VA must provide you enough to gradually reduce your benzo intake and give you support while you do. I have been on benzos and opiates for ten years. If I stopped taking them next week I would have dangerous withdrawals. The VA cannot get out of their own way when it comes to screwing up. Go see your congressman and see a malpractice lawyer. Sudden withdrawal from Benzos can cause convulsions and maybe death.

John

Exactly. Not only that, but CBT, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, takes up to two years. My panic attacks are debilitating. I've been told that the side effects with Clonazapam, the benzo I'm taking, are fuzzy thinking and altered gait. Seriously? I'm OK with a slower thought process and not being able to run a mile in seven minutes vs. hiding in my closet and hyperventilating from panic. I agree that it's malpractice. I've tried to explain that I'm in therapy and that I just need something to help me while I'm in that process. I was told that there is no "quick fix." Wow. Pretty smug to sit there in your office with your Starbucks while I'm still digging trauma out of my skivvies. I've tried patient advocacy and they also told me it's a VA policy. Incidentally, we're on of the VAs being investigated by the FBI. Imagine.

• HadIt.com Elder

Some local crooked psychiatrist I know wrote a letter to the editor of my newspaper saying vets were getting opiates from the VA for chronic pain and selling their drugs. He said chronic pain was easy to fake. I went to this jerk for weight loss. Now I know his attitude I won't be going back let me tell you. I have chronic pain in my feet and shoulders and neck. I have been to tons of doctors. They surgery and treatments have not helped. Opiates help and I don't even use that much except what I need. I have never asked for an increase but I guess I am drug crazed criminal. How many of these vets or servicemen who visit the Whitehouse to get medals are also stoned out of their minds because their broken backs, hips and necks are killing them?

So this wasn't a VA doc, right? Why are we getting such a bad rap? Everyone in my family has served, but I've got to be honest; after my experiences when my son wanted to up after college I talked him out of it. He would have been the first officer and I would have been so honored, but jeez, even though he will be the first in our family not to serve I'm OK with it. I read these stories and even though my experiences have been horrible, they're nothing compared to many others. Absolutely heartbreaking. I'm sorry for your pain, both emotional and physical. Can you report that psychiatrist to the AMA? That seems like a violation of Dr./Patient confidentiality.

• HadIt.com Elder

This shrink I used was just speaking in general terms. He was not talking about me. I only saw him once. He charged me a fortune and gave me speed to reduce my appetite. My appetite is not really the problem as it is my lack of being able to walk much and exercise that is the problem I see. I am technically obese, but I don't even think about food and would probably never eat unless I was hungry. It is the injuries I have that cause chronic pain that keep me from burning off calories. If VA would send me to a good massage therapist or chiro I think I would get better, but I need help with this. The VA says I can drive 20 miles to use their pool for 20 minutes. I need permanent PT to stay mobile. I am not getting it via the VA. They sent some idiot here who used to do some PT with me but he was so unreliable I told him not to come back. IF I could just walk without pain I could walk it off. I have been to podiatrists galore. They all say the same thing and have same failed therapy.

John

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use