VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice On Upcoming C&p Exam

Rate this question

armyvet2010

Question

Hello everyone. I have an upcoming C&P that is scheduled in a few weeks. I filed for PTSD (both combat and physical assualt related) and mental condition. I am a little nervous because I don't know what to expect once at the exam. I know I have to be honest about everything,but I want to be sure I leave nothing out. This has been a long two years of this claim pending. Any advice on what to do or not to do while at or before the exam?

• HadIt.com Elder
DSM-5 Diagnostic Criteria for PTSD

More info... new symptoms were added: The fifth revision (DSM-5) was released in May 2013. This revision includes changes to the diagnostic criteria for PTSD and Acute Stress Disorder.
Good luck,
Cmdr. Bob
Edited by Commander Bob

dont dress like a bum unless you nornally do, heres why. go over some of your recent doctors notes and see what they wrote. THEY too praytell keep notes abt your dress, your demeanor, ect. So if you regularly come to the hospital with your drawers on the inside of your pants, and on the day of the mental CP exam are wearing them on the outside, they may look back in the recent notes and see if your doing it to " enhance " your chances. DONT ever, never, ever, blow your credibility. once u lose that, you aint got a slippery turd to stand on.

DSM-5 really helped me,,the doc who interviewed me used that scale instead of a GAF scale for PTSD. So do yourself a favor and read it.You can google it or do a search here. Good luck and thank you for your service.

If I remember right - the new MH criteria does not mention GAF scores any longer.

Beck index. 1 to 68 .

Be prepared to quantify things; my last C&P doc asked a ton of "how much, how often?" questions that we really don't think in terms of so it can be hard to provide an accurate number off the top of your head.

I got so wore out by the childhood and preliminary questions that, by the time the doc was ready to play ball, I had already mentally 'checked out" and didn't really present my case well, despite having it on paper.

She wanted to hear me SAY it - it is definitely a game and the VA is not on your team, so all preparation is good but it really does come down to be honest, present your case from your notes and write down your impressions of impropriety, leading you on, jumping to conclusions, get a copy of the exam and dispute any bad elements with facts in writing.

Good luck! :smile: