Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appling For Ssd

Rate this question

Hollis

Question

Hello friends and VETS, I AM RATED AT 90% disability, HEART, PTSD, HEARING LOSS, TINNIUS . I applied for SSD when I was 70% and was denied. I was told I made to much money. I did not know or realized they count your VA disability compensation. I was under assumption if you was disability you would quality. I asked how could I make so much money and drive a 98,4 door Saturn and there are so many Cadillac's, Lincolns and large SUV in the parking lot that do qualify. NO REPLY from the male behind the window. I was dismissed. Can anyone give me correct information on this. I am 90% should I re-apply for SSD? THANKS IN ADVANCE

I don't know what program you applied for but what i can tell you is that SSI is based on income and alot of times when you apply they look to see if you are elegable for that as it might supplement you income until approved for SSDI you might look into what program that you applied for if it was both then that is not total unusual to get a denial for SSI and continue the process for SSDI

SSI is related to income:"Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a United States government program that provides stipends to low-income people who are either aged (65 or older), blind, or disabled"

SSDI is for disabled workers and VA benefits are not considered except to bolster your case for disability.

Absolutely file for SSDI.

Thanks Notorious Kelly for you advise, so it seem I file for the wrong one. I need SSDI. I WILL DO THAT ASAP.

well here is an up date. I went and spoke with a gentleman , who began to question why I put in for SSD. He also told me since I have not worked in 5 years I don't qualify for SSD. I told him there was a lot of people in the waiting room that I bet most haven't in 10 years. I told him I wanted an appointment with someone higher than someone sitting in front of a monitor all day. Well today in the mail I got what I asked for. an appointment, but there was a lot questions that needs to answered first. That not a problem I have most of all they asked me. Mt appointment is July 28, 2014. I will follow up with another up date from that date and meeting.

I just got awarded SSDI...but I had to go to court to get it. Most people are denied the first and even second time. If there is a third time it goes in front of a judge. Most people need a lawyer to get it. I used a lawyer.

It is a long tedious process. I've been out of work for just over 2 years. But that should not have anything to do with it....except that you can't be working when you file...It would help to get a doctor to say that you can't work. SSA sent me to a doctor similar to a C&P exam, but they call it something else, I'm not sure what the SSA calls it other than a medical exam.

Stay on it and don't give up. It took me 2 years to get it. Just know it is not uncommon to have to wait a long time.