VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Unions Share Blame For Va Deaths

Notorious Kelly

I've sure felt this way- I may just have thought the reason different.

"The union’s contract is filled with mind-numbing rules to prevent workers from being given a new task, forced to change shifts or being disciplined for shoddy work. The place is run for workers, not patients..."

http://nypost.com/2014/05/28/how-unions-share-blame-for-va-deaths/

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I used to work at a union shop, but I was not a union member. They had stupid rules of who could do what. If a new computer came in, you couldn't connect it to the power or network because they had to have a union employee plug the wires into the wall. They also had union workers who would call us up just to talk to someone because they were bored - they were given a job to sit in an office and wait until an audible alarm went off, which rarely happened. After seeing that, I realized why my utility bills were always so high.

I believe that the Original Ideas behind Unions were to protect workers from the Crappy working environment during the Farming years in Cali and the Industrial Years on the East Coast in the Metal Factories. Over the years it just became another Political electric fence that you hope you never Urinate On!

unions were formed by Bugsy Segal, for the trucking industry also. check out the movie.. "BUGSY"

• HadIt.com Elder

You all keep bashing on the unions, it does no good to give the VA a pass on this issue or any other that we all know is wrong with the Va........You may not like the unions contract, but this was not the cause or did it have any effect on what was just brought forth, nor is it the cause of the continuing backlog.

The system is outdated, it was this way long before the first Gulf adventure, and was in no way shape or form ready for Iraq2 or Afganistan, and it sure as hell ain't ready for Iraq3 that most likley will be coming..........You want to blame a union, blame the congressional union and the DOD and the hiarchy of the VA who have failed those they are sworn to protect. Blame MSM for not taking this to the next level and outing the system as a whole, not just this one issue.........There exist way to many layers of political failure and these union employees are very far down on the list to even consider.

Edited by JR Reihs

I stumbled across this piece while searching the VA's structure because we need to understand how the VA is setup in order to troubleshoot it.

I'm not out just to union bash but, if the majority of VA workers are union, then this is absolutely a union problem.

What's odd is unions typically trumpet their existence elsewhere, so why are they so off the radar regarding their involvement with the VA?

And in the whistleblower harassment cases, is a union whistleblower being harassed by a non-union supervisor?

I'm having trouble finding information on how the whole thing actually operates.

Edited by Notorious Kelly