Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Great News/student Loans Discharged Today!

Rate this topic

Navy04

I will remember to look for that tax statement. Thank you guys very much for the support. Hope you guys have a Blessed weekend.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Thanks NavyWife, has your husband's claim had any movement.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Navy04,

congrats to you sir. I'm jealous of your quick success!

Caveat*** I'm not trying to hijack your success story. I have the slowest motherF'ers on my loans. I've been met with more idiots than I could imagine. I sorted the 3 ring circus out and it still isn't done. College Loan was with Great Lakes, finished college after Iraq in 2006. Was told to get a consolidation loan, so I did and transferred it to Sallie Mae. So when I get the 100% tdiu P&t in April, I immediately sent Nelnet my completed application. After 1 month I contacted Nelnet and said what is the hold up. They said oh you never provided the effective date so we contacted the VA and we are waiting for them to give us the date. I was like no place in their stupid application did it say must provide my rating effective date. I understand why, but still doesnt say it. I provided them a VA generated letter that says 100% P&T. So after I called 3 or 4 times demanding them to just let me scan my award rating, which is the same thing the VA was gonna do to begin with, but the big scandal going on, I'm like yea they are suddenly going to be eager to rush to help me discharge loans. So after more chats and emails, 1st I said well call the VA. They said we contacted them and we will just wait. I'm like why can't you call them? makes zero sense. they said ok we will accept your information. Now this is in May. Finally on June 2nd, Nelnet approves my discharge request for Permanent request, so I think wow ok, they took long enough but it should go smooth now since they do the vetting process for Dept of Education....wow was I wrong. So I think ahh, this should go quick. I wait over a month, then I contact Nelnet in July. They tell me they notified Sallie Mae electronically on 6/2. So I contact Sallie Mae, who goes on to say we haven't rec'd anything. I proceed each time recounting the story for each idiot I get stuck with. So back and forth between Nelnet and Sallie Mae. I said can you resend the info to Sallie Mae, if they supposedly didn't get it? Nelnet says No, we can't send it unless they ask us directly. I'm like are you friggin kidding me? So I call Sallie Mae and reinform them if they haven't rec'd the information that they must ask for it directly from Nelnet. So I get rebuffed a few times, with responses like we will get back to you. I kept emailing daily at this point. Sallie Mae finally acknowledges it did in fact receive the electronic information on 6/2 after previous denials. At this point I'm already beyond irate. I said ok great. Well Sallie Mae throws the curveball, oh we are waiting on the guarantor of the loan before it can be discharged. I said who the heck is that. They tell me it is Great Lakes. So Great lakes has been out of the loop since i did the consolidation loan. Great lakes goes oh we don't have your loan. I have to yet again explain this ardeous process. So now it is a 3 ring circus. Great lakes says we haven't rec'd any information from anyone. Sallie Mae says, when we were notified on 6/2, great lakes (the guarantor) shouldve been also notified, which they were. I said Nelnet isn't sending my approved appication to anyone unless you ask for it directly. I email and email and email asking what is the status Great Lakes. I explain this entire sorted tail to Great lakes, telling them they must request the information from Nelnet, since they are the guarantor and nobody is contacting anyone else. GL needs to contact Nelnet for the completed & approved permanent discharge so they can then say, Hey Sallie Mae, yes you can get rid of it...................what an friggin dabocal. I can not grasp why, it takes so long....they say Sir, you are in a forebarance status so don't worry. I'm like Yes, I do worry since interest is still accruing and I have to pay taxes on the total when I'm issued a 1099-c at the end of the year. GL keeps saying sir we are processing it, i'm like hurry the f' up! Nelnet already vetted my claim inorder to save all this time and it is utterly ridiculous that it has been dragged out. The responses I'm getting from Great Lakes, sir we understand you are upset...you do? they said it can take up to 3 months for it to be a completed process. I wanted to jump through the computer and unleash my frustration.I don't get what is left then issuing me a 1099-c. Can't wait for the gong show process of having all this crap removed from my credit, which has killed it. I was either in a deferred or a forebarance status since 2007, yet these idiots have 5 or 6 120 days etc before putting back in each of these statuses when I had faxed or mailed these status changes............i got preapproved for a VA loan & this crap is effecting it. I been working with my mortgage officer cuz he been going over my credit report to clear items prior to it ever getting to underwriting. its 31K, i only borrowed 20K, hence all the delaying over the years tacked on the difference. I know I'm complaining. I've held it in for far too long. I have 0 patience anymore. I can no longer hurry up and wait.

Sorry Navy04, I had to vent this story. I've been following your story here in the forums since we both got 100% about the same time. I hope you are doing ok. thank you for allowing me to blow up your thread post...cringe.

S/F

Semper Fidelis

I thought student loans were only discharged if you are SSDI disabled. A VA 100% is good enough or does it have to be 100% P+T?

USMC,

No biggy bud. I did not even know where to begin. RPowell, who is a fellow member on Hadit, he gave me the link to fill out the form. I mailed it in, along with my SSDI and VA 100% disabled paperwork. It took a few months, of the VA and the Govt going back and forth on who gave me what Student Loan. It was so confusing, and I was getting 2 or 3 letters a week from different Govt agencies. Two weeks ago I received a letter stating that I was granted a 6 month extension to not pay any more student loan payments until the end of that period. Then this week I get the letter stating that the whole amount has been discharged. I probably would have never figured it out had it not been for Rpowell. The Govt definitely likes to give us the run around when it comes to them giving us money. Boy when we owe the Govt, they sure do chase us down to get their money, even if it is only a few bucks.

Mike,

I am 100% VA and SSDI.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus