VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Went To Sleep Study And Ended Up Locked Up!

Rate this question

BlastDaddy

Question

Well I don't know where to go with this. Seems I have more issues. I went for my sleep study the other day. First off I was terrified and was uncomfortable.

I often have a hard time going to sleep or if I go to sleep I wake up continuously.

Being scared I wouldn't sleep or just to take the edge off I had a couple drinks. Two to be exact. That wasn't the problem.

After taking all my meds I fell asleep but while asleep I became entangled in the cords and started having a violent dream. I was awaken by security trying to hold me down and then given some type of shot that knocked me out. I then woke up again in another hospital in the mental ward.

I was released that evening but was still drugged up from my medications and the tranquilizer they shot me with.

The police stopped by my house to check up on me just to see if I was ok. He said he had been dispatched on a health and welfare to my location a couple times but this time he was visiting on his own for he was the office who transported me.

I don't know if my study was completed or if there will be another since the VA outsourced this study. What is left now? I clearly don't know what to do.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

That depends on what you were having the sleep study for. If it was for nightmares and REM sleep disorder, you nailed it. If it was for sleep apnea, I don't know if you had the kind of sleep that would have you snoring/creating breathing trouble.

They said it was going to be a split study. What ever that is. I know one check was for sleep apnea and the tech talked about REM and some other stuff. But to be honest I can't remember much because I think I was starting to panic inside. I just don't know.

They said follow up with my PCP and Psychologist. I'm not for that, I'm afraid the VA will try and send me to Waco this time. I'm in complete panic mode right now.

If they would have just left me alone or get those wires off me.

I'm sorry for venting. I'm just upset and don't know what is in store for my. I've already had two suicide attempts and now this. I don't think I will handle it. I can't be taken away.

BlastDaddy,

Sorry for your unpleasant experience during the sleep study. However, for your own good, please follow their advice and go see your psychologist. The psychologist is there to help you with your anxiety. At a minimum, please call your psychologist on the phone and let them know your thoughts and concerns. Listen to what they tell you. We do not want you to get to the point where you want to hurt yourself or anyone else. You deserve good care and we want to see you get it.

Good luck to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is new type of care for sleep apnea that does not involve CPAP. It is called Upper Airway Stimulation therapy. It involves a surgery to implant a device in your chest and neck that used electic shocks to keep your airways open. I am having it done in about three weeks. The VA won't do it so you need to have medicare and/or private insurance. This technique will revolutionize the treatment of OSA. I just cannot use the CPAP myself, and have woken up gasping for breath with the mask on before. That would make anyone panic.

I went to the VA hospital for psychological evaluation about 42 years ago and landed up in rubber room myself. I was there two weeks before private psychologist I knew got me out. I would see the psychologist for sure. Make them take care of you.

John

I have been in the psych ward numerous times. The VA Psych Ward in Albuquerque is not bad, it's not the end of the world to check in and get stable.

Now that my head is clearing from the whole episode I have found three different areas where they stuck me to sedate me. I don't really understand what happened and things are still foggy to me. But little by little I am remembering. I'm not that big of a guy so I don't see why so many tranquilizers to sedate me.

Thank you everyone for the concern. But I will not be checking in at this point. I have already been there before and didn't care much for it. However I am feeling more relaxed and secure now that I am home and in my comfort zone.

But man I am sore and bruised up.