VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Went To Sleep Study And Ended Up Locked Up!

Rate this question

BlastDaddy

Question

Well I don't know where to go with this. Seems I have more issues. I went for my sleep study the other day. First off I was terrified and was uncomfortable.

I often have a hard time going to sleep or if I go to sleep I wake up continuously.

Being scared I wouldn't sleep or just to take the edge off I had a couple drinks. Two to be exact. That wasn't the problem.

After taking all my meds I fell asleep but while asleep I became entangled in the cords and started having a violent dream. I was awaken by security trying to hold me down and then given some type of shot that knocked me out. I then woke up again in another hospital in the mental ward.

I was released that evening but was still drugged up from my medications and the tranquilizer they shot me with.

The police stopped by my house to check up on me just to see if I was ok. He said he had been dispatched on a health and welfare to my location a couple times but this time he was visiting on his own for he was the office who transported me.

I don't know if my study was completed or if there will be another since the VA outsourced this study. What is left now? I clearly don't know what to do.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

After you finish I would complain about the treatment. If you have to do anything like this again take a loved one or friend with you to keep an eye on you and them too.

Good Luck

Have your doctor to request an in-home sleep study done. I have severe sleep apnea and severe insomnia and I could not fall asleep in the lab, so my doctor requested the in-home sleep study. They will send you everything and it will record your sleep for three nights and then you mail it back. I got my CPAP machine within 30 days I think. It has been several years now.

Pete 53 and Pete 992

I don't think I can ever do this again. leaving out and staying away rom my home is not on the table. Thank you I should have done it this time.

Pete 992, I don't know what I have with sleep problems. Sometimes I can't fall asleep. Other times I do and then wake up super tired. No matter what meds my mind over rides them and I have crazy dreams Sometimes I think the dreams are real and I'm living in them helplessly watching and having no control. Not even being able to wake myself. Then other times I find myself easily waking from them just to stay awake.

Hell I'm confused myself with my sleep. I just sleep here and their. Since my wife doesn't sleep with me it really doesn't bother me when I catch that nap. She just continuously checks on me to ensure I'm ok. But she says I do rock the house when I'm tired because I snore so loud. Which doesn't make since for sleep apnea because I'm not over weight. Actually I'm under weight and the doctors says they can't figure out why in the last year I went from 180 pounds down to 140. Now I'm sitting at 150.

I would like help with my sleep problems. If their are any out their.

BTW, a friend that I served with did read my post and has been over checking on me. He stayed so late last night we fell asleep talking and awoke mid day today to have a late late breakfast. I did not know he was still around and was very happy to hear and see him.

Thank all of you who provided input.

• In Memoriam

Man you are not kidding about all the wires. I felt like the old man in the wireless commercial. I just wanted the wires off, but I continued. Stupid neurologist said she didn't trust the test, that was done years ago, because I had taken morphine and hydrocodone. I did retake the test though.

She is full of crap. I was prescribed morphine 5 years before the test, but I never took it. I have the bottle full to prove it. I an going to go after her. I will give her a chance to change what she wrote first. This was more negligence rather than ignorance, althought it is hard to determine which is greater.

Edited by Stretch

Well I got my sleep study results and everything was a 0. That's right. The study was stopped two half hours into it due to Quote " Altered behavior." WTH.

So I dug through the stuff they given my wife on my release from the second hospital and it had current diagnosis upon release. 1st PTSD "No Shit", Aggressive Behavior and Insomnia.

Looked at the doctors and it had 5 different doctors and one did a psych evaluation on me.

So my wife and I went to release of information. We wanted to see what was there. They refused to release any information. Said Mental health records are to be released by doctors authorization only. Again WTF.

What is this Altered behavior crap. Now I have no sleep study.

How can they get Aggressive behavior. It was a dream.

But I did find out the security holding me down were actually police. Three of them. Somehow I broke free from them and ended up in the rest room with a trash can trying to defend myself. But again I was in a dream and didn't remember any of it until told by an officer what happened .

Still I don't recall everything.

Does anyone know what this could mean "Altered State and Aggressive Behavior"

Also how do I get these Psych doctors to release information to me?

As far as the sleep study, you just need to have the Docs order another Study. When I was Stationed in New Orleans, I had to go out in town to do a sleep study. My Study was considered inconclusive due to me sleeping on my stomach and moving around to much and entangling all the wires. So I am going to do another sleep study soon. As far as your Mental Health Notes, you can request those at the VA. I just got my 3rd set a few weeks ago, with no issues at all. Also you can get them off the MyHealthEVet site too. Good luck either way bud.