VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Feeling Guilty

Rate this topic

toyotafan

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you for your service. When you joined you actually entered into a personal contract with the government and promises were made. Your honorable service entitled you to benefits. You had to prove your claim and you did. I think that you should review your 50% as the VA is infamous for lowballing. You earned the benefit by service.

Hang in there and be proud of your service and remember that you deserve your benefits.

I just got the "brown envelope" today. In the end, I guess it's pretty accurate. I don't feel that I embelished my responses to make them be more severe than they were. I was given service connection on multiple items, 20% here, and then four 10% items. Based on the VA calculations 20 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 = 50! :)

I spoke with my VSO rep. They say to be happy and it was well deserved. I guess it's time to get over any guilty feelings. It's tough as I even feel guilty when I take bids on jobs for my house that 2 of the contractors won't get the job. I feel bad that I don't have more work to go around.

Again, thanks everyone for your kind words.

Hi all,

First post. I finished up my C&P exam not too long ago. I submitted a quick start claim just before I left active duty. Just a few days ago, I saw a large deposit into my checking account. I thought it was for two months, but when I got onto e-benefits today I found my rating in one of the downloadable letters. I got rated at 50%.

Now, most of you on this forum are war veterans who rightfully deserve whatever compensation the gov't will give. However, I was never deployed. My job prospects on the outside are much better than in the .mil. It's hard to reconcile.

I haven't gotten any documentation from the VA, but what I claimed is fairly innocuous. I imagine most civilian bricklayers feel worse every day of their lives than what resulted from my military service.

Maybe it's my catholic upbringing, but man do I feel guilty about this.

A vet is a vet.

There are many thousands of peace time vets.

I am one.

I received several injury's on active duty.

These resulted in life long medical difficulties.

They were found to be service connected and I am compensated for them.

I do not feel any guilt what so ever for this.

I volunteered to serve - I swore and signed - I went where they put me -

when they put me - I did what they told me.

Should I feel guilty that there was no combat for me to partake in ?

I think not.

To me - our combat vets are heros - not that I feel any wars are worth it,

but all combat vets go thru some type of hell in my eyes.

jmho

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use