VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purple Heart For Tbi

Rate this question

Metoo

Question

I have a TBI rating of 10% amongst other things. I know that a while ago the military started granting Purple Hearts for a TBI injury. Has anyone been sucessful in getting the Purple Heart Award for TBI? I'm currious about the process.

Thanks

Got this off the net. Reading the entire entry this injury must be caused by "enemy action" ie you don't get one if our own ammo dump blew up of its own accord. PTSD is specifically excluded from being an injury for award of PH. Hope that helps.

(4) Examples of enemy-related injuries which clearly justify award of the Purple Heart are as follows:

(a) Injury caused by enemy bullet, shrapnel, or other projectile created by enemy action.

(b) Injury caused by enemy placed mine or trap.

© Injury caused by enemy released chemical, biological or nuclear agent.

(d) Injury caused by vehicle or aircraft accident resulting from enemy fire.

(e) Concussion injuries caused as a result of enemy generated explosions.

Added link later:The text has been cut and pasted for ease of reading & applicability. To see the text in full from AR 600-8-22, 25 February 1995 and Public Law 104-106 - Feb. 10, 1996 visit http://www.usmcvta.org/pheart/phcriteria.htm

Edited by Asomdepot68

You brought up a point bud. I have TBI due to 6 Concussions from numerous IED, explosions etc. I did not receive a Purple Heart, then again I am not your typical Vet that wanted any of that stuff. It does get my brain going though. Good luck and keep us posted.

soldiers should be honored for what theyve suffered/ I know when I see a purple heart license plate I tthink abt what the driver may have suffered and would surely stop to help if I saw that plate or any DV plate/

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
9 hours ago, blahsaysme2u said:

was anyone able to get any info on this? has anyone here actually gone through the process? this is a thing now but i dont know what the process is or where to begine

There is some general purple heart criteria on the posts from five years back, but each branch may have some different criteria in addition to what was posted.

For example, for the Army I found the following from 2011:
https://www.army.mil/article/60078/dod_issues_purple_heart_standards_for_brain_injury

It refers you to the Army HR page, which I found PH in this search list:
https://www.hrc.army.mil/search/purple heart criteria

But the 11-125 directive is protected by login which I do not have:

image.thumb.png.1041d901b26f3cd1772a8e7df043f96d.png

In the end, the very first link in the list contains current details of PH for Army service members. I extracted and underlined the parts about TBI and assume these are current. Please follow the link for more details. If you served in a different branch, you'll need to look up their criteria.
https://www.hrc.army.mil/content/Purple Heart

When contemplating an award of this decoration, the key issue that commanders must take into consideration is the degree to which the enemy caused the injury. The fact that the proposed recipient was participating in direct or indirect combat operations is a necessary prerequisite, but is not sole justification for award.

Examples of enemy-related injuries which clearly justify award of the Purple Heart are as follows:

• Injury caused by enemy bullet, shrapnel, or other projectile created by enemy action
  • Injury caused by enemy placed mine or trap
  • Injury caused by enemy released chemical, biological, or nuclear agent
  • Injury caused by vehicle or aircraft accident resulting from enemy fire
  • Concussion injuries caused as a result of enemy generated explosions
  • Mild traumatic brain injury or concussive severe enough to cause either loss of consciousness or restriction from full duty due to persistent signs, symptoms, or clinical finding, or impaired brain functions for a period greater than 48 hours from the time of the concussive incident.

Examples of injuries or wounds which clearly do not justify award of the Purple Heart are as follows:

• Frostbite (excluding severe frostbite requiring hospitalization from 7 December 1941 to 22 August 1951).
  • Trench foot or immersion foot.
  • Heat stroke.
  • Food poisoning not caused by enemy agents.
  • Chemical, biological, or nuclear agents not released by the enemy.
  • Battle fatigue.
  • Disease not directly caused by enemy agents.
  • Accidents, to include explosive, aircraft, vehicular, and other accidental wounding not related to or caused by enemy action.
  • Self-inflicted wounds, except when in the heat of battle and not involving gross negligence.
  • Post traumatic stress disorders.
  • Airborne (for example, parachute/jump) injuries not caused by enemy action.
  • Hearing loss and tinnitus (for example: ringing in the ears).
  • Mild traumatic brain injury or concussions that do not either result in loss of consciousness or restriction from full duty for a period greater than 48 hours due to persistent signs, symptoms, or physical findings of impaired brain function.
  • Abrasions and lacerations (unless of a severity to be incapacitating).
  • Bruises (unless caused by direct impact of the enemy weapon and severe enough to require treatment by a medical officer).
  • Soft tissue injuries (for example, ligament, tendon or muscle strains, sprains, and so forth).
  • First degree burns.