VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Independant Living Program

Rate this question

Gastone

Question

Looking for anyone with ILP experience within the past 2yrs. I recently filed my own claim for ILP and just had my 1st meeting 09/09/14 with Vocational Rehab Dept ILP councilor. Very difficult to locate specifics on what other Vets are receiving from the Independent Living Program. Any info would be appreciated.

Semper Fi

Gastone

• HadIt.com Elder

What are you looking to get out of ILP......That is the bigger question. Awards vary, based on your want and needs, you just got to have a stick to your guns attitude to get the things you really need, and anything that is on your want list is a bonus.

I went there today. watched a video and listed to a lady tell me stuff I already knew. Then the next person basically told me I can't work, then sent me on my way. Nice people though. I guess ILP is for people with physical disabilities because nothing was mentioned. 2 months ago I was denied IU, so when I try to work I'm told I can't?

jesusplay,

Documentation from vocational rehab stating you can not work will be helpful when you refile for IU.

Good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes ILP is specifically for Veterans who can't work. They should see you and assess how they can help you. The main thing is that you have a good chance for IU or TDIU

Mikemmlj: Not at all. I filed for Voc Rehab back in 2011 when I was at 50% SC. At that time I was hoping to possibly land a VA or Govt job. The councilors were really helpful, but I was unsuccessful and didn't see myself going back to finish my degree. Discontinued VocReh mid 2012, but didn't get the "Letter" stating my SC Conditions made in unfeasible for me to complete the program, my bad. When I realized I needed the letter as evidence for my 09/2012 IU claim, I had to apply for Voc Rehab again and get a new councilor. From the time I filed, it was about 3 weeks and my new councilor provided me with the "Letter."

The Voc Rehab Counselor that I met with today was extremely helpful. Pulled up my records from 11 & 2012 and after 35 min I was done with the initial Independent Living Program interview. Now it's just a matter of determining what services and benefits can be provided. As I told my Counselor, as Vets, most of us have no idea of what services and benefits are available from the ILP.

I guess the long and the short of it, don't worry about the application process for Voc Rehab, its painless. The counselors will walk you through it.

Semper Fi

Gastone