VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Benefits Manual?

Rate this question

kate7772

Question

Someone recently (maybe Carlie) posted a link for the Veteran's Benefits Manual (think that's the name.)

Searched but can't find it now. Anyone know where it's at?

Would l

This manual be a good resource for working a claim? Is it easy to understand or more advanced? And is it info that is available for free elsewhere or definitely worth buying? What is the most recent edition?

Thanks

Kate

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

NVLSP has order info here:

http://www.nvlsp.org/

They list the new stuff on that web page.

This is a law book. My 2014 VBM has 1947 pages pages in addition to the Table of Contents.

I have purchased the VBM every year since 1991

"This manual be a good resource for working a claim? "

I have never lost a personal claim. many denials but I fought back until I won.

If it wasn't for the 1992, 1992, 1993 editions of the VBM (one year I think they didn't publish it) I would have \never know what a FTCA case and a Section 1151 claim was.

Because in 1993-1994 my husband filed a Section 1151 claim and a claim for higher PTSD rating after we read the VBM.

I continued both claims after his death and won both and an FTCA case against VA solely due to the VBM. Their info there on FTCA is quite limited.

FTCA cases are for lawyers ,not advocates.

But it helped me study FTCA laws at a law library in the county courthouse.

After I won ,a few lawyers in there at the law library from time to time ,asked me one day about the FTCA case (that they would Not represent me on, when I filed it).

Oddly enough I had my USA VA settlement papers with me because I needed copies for the RO and the law library had a copy machine.

When I whipped out the settlement papers to show them , much to their surprise, they became quite silent ( 2 had told me I could never win) and then they applauded me.

I owe that applause to the VBM.

"Is it easy to understand or more advanced?"

Because this is a law book, dedicated to us veteran disability advocates,on their dedication page, it is quite detailed in many respects, but still easy to read.

Once you get used to the format. (I worked in a law firm and believe me the VBM is set up the best way to incorporate supplements, new VA regs, and established precedent case law, into the various sections and topics of the book.)

There are multiple citations on every page also that can save one a lot of time and trouble if they want to cite cases they feel will bolster their claim.

" And is it info that is available for free elsewhere or definitely worth buying? "

NVLSP lawyers (specially Rick Spataro) graciously provided me with lots of free advise during the last Nehmer Court order, knowing I would provide that information here at hadit.

The VBM isnt free because they are Pro Bono lawyers and depend on this publication and on donations, and other means of support for their work.,....all for veterans and their dependents.

They will give me free advise on how to interpret many nuances of VA case law if needed here , but I bugged them about Nehmer more than anything, to make sure I fully understood that case because they know I have been here for 17 years and Agent Orange was the most important issue I ever dealt with, way before I was a Nehmer claimant..

Amazon often has older copies available cheaper then the new version.

Maybe someone here could sell you an older copy cheap but of course that wont contain the new stuff.

They are charging 150 plus S&H, with a special rate for advocates.

"What is the most recent edition?" It just came off the press a few weeks ago... the 2014 Edition.

Many vet reps and VSOs are too cheap to buy this book. That is why many of them don't have a clue.

They got the same training many of us here got, like PR, John999, and me...and others too from the NVLSP training course.But training changes,just as VA regulations do,and they could continue their training via the VBM to be as up to speed as we are here, but probably most of them don't care because they think they know it all..

Thank you Berta,

One very important thing I have gained from this whole miserable process is an insatiable desire for knowledge and would like to eventually gain enough to help others. If I was a few years younger, I would pursue being a VSO.

Do you feel the training course would also be useful?

BTW, my husband's claim for PTSD was denied today. No big surprise there. Gotta wait for the reasonings so I can see if we can supply new and material evidence to get a reconsideration. Really don't want to do a NOD if it can be avoided.

Kate

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Kate,

Sorry your husband's claim was denied. If you choose the reconsideration route, be sure to keep a close eye on the timeline. If the VA does not respond before the timeline expires, be sure it is converted to an official NOD. I filed a NOD with a request for an in-person DRO review. It made all the difference. Don't give up!

• HadIt.com Elder

kate . the VBM is a great book, but its farily expensive If your wanting to help veterans with claims it would be a great info book for ya, but for you & your husband the good folks here at hadit would be happy to help you guys win his claim!

Thanks to your hubby for his service!

• HadIt.com Elder

I recommend everyone purchase the VBM. $150 isn't that much, considering what college students pay for books. Life ain't cheap these days! Perhaps if you'd had the book for his claim, before, his denial may have been an award. Just sayin' . . . I like Berta purchase a new edition each year.

pr