Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hippa Law True Or False

Rate this topic

OK I finally got the MRI I had been begging for going on 3 years. I later get a letter from my dr stating no additional action needed and the results of the MRI were interpreted as contradictory to what 3 previous doctors had reported. I messaged my primary and requested to speak with the Radiologist who actually read the MRI. A phone number was provided via my health e vet and I called the doctors office and was transfered to the actual doctor whom read the MRI, or indicated that he read the MRI.

I told the dr I wanted to discuss the findings he had concluded abt MY Mri. I was immediately told that he could NOT discuss MY Mri results with me, due to HIPPA laws. This doesnt sound right,

They are MY results, I am the veteran, why cant the doctor who read my MRI discuss his findings>

I made a complaint to the chief of staff and await a call back so we shall see what they do.

Permitted Uses and Disclosures

Permitted Uses and Disclosures. A covered entity is permitted, but not required, to use and disclose protected health information, without an individual’s authorization, for the following purposes or situations: (1) To the Individual (unless required for access or accounting of disclosures); (2) Treatment, Payment, and Health Care Operations; (3) Opportunity to Agree or Object; (4) Incident to an otherwise permitted use and disclosure; (5) Public Interest and Benefit Activities; and (6) Limited Data Set for the purposes of research, public health or health care operations.18 Covered entities may rely on professional ethics and best judgments in deciding which of these permissive uses and disclosures to make.

(1) To the Individual. A covered entity may disclose protected health information to the individual who is the subject of the information.

(2) Treatment, Payment, Health Care Operations. A covered entity may use and disclose protected health information for its own treatment, payment, and health care operations activities.19 A covered entity also may disclose protected health information for the treatment activities of any health care provider, the payment activities of another covered entity and of any health care provider, or the health care operations of another covered entity involving either quality or competency assurance activities or fraud and abuse detection and compliance activities, if both covered entities have or had a relationship with the individual and the protected health information pertains to the relationship. See additional guidance on Treatment, Payment, & Health Care Operations.

I would think that they can give me MY OWN INFORMATION ???

""""(1) To the Individual. A covered entity may disclose protected health information to the individual who is the subject of the information.""""""

• HadIt.com Elder

I would take a copy of the Hippa laws to your Dr and tell who ever said ''they can't discuss this information with you'' tell them ''with all due respect your incorrect'' they may not but the Dr can or the one that read your MRI here are the Hippa laws in writing. you might go see the Hospital Admin first!

That's what I's do

JMO

Buck!

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

@ 63Sierra- IMO, the doc was trying to protect himself from a potential HIPA violation. The law requires that a positive ID must be made to divulge patient information. The days of getting that kind of information over the phone are gone due to these rules. These days you can be in violation for discussing a case with no names mentioned but there is still enough info for a listener to figure out who they are talking about. People have been successfully sued for discussing patient info over a phone call. The findings must be discussed face to face or he may send you the findings (most likely registered mail). The fact is that anyone can call in and say it's you and request confidential information.

I agree with SoldierMedic. I called a private hospital to request records and was told I had to come to the records office at the hospital, show a photo ID and sign a release form before they would provide the records to me.

You might have to discuss the MRI with the radiologist in person and show identification.

Good luck to you.

GP