Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2015 Budget And Tdiu Vets 65 And Older

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

I've read the 2015 OMB Budget, stating effective 1 Oct 2015 that vets eligible for SSA or drawing SSA at ages 65-67 dependent on birthdays will no longer be paid at the 100% rate and will be paid at their assigned disability rate. Will current Vets that have been being paid a 100% for say 7 or 8 years be flat cutoff or is there a grandfather clause in the making. I am not concerned for myself as I am Schedular 100% with housebound award, but I have two buddies that are TDIU. One is 80% and the other 70%. Does anyone know the current status of this budget recommendation? It is posted on the website, but have not seen any threads concerning it. And Yeah I know it's been more than a several years since I have posted.

Here's my update. Went to VAMC Iowa City last week for 7 year throat cancer check up exam. I had finished the last of my radiation and chemo on the 1 Feb 2008. I have been going for follow-up exams ever since then and for the last two years it's been every 6 mos. They found a different suspicious spot and not near the spot the previous cancer was and it looked good. They attempted to do a local Biopsy in the exam room with just Novocain. They mad three attempts and each time I gagged and they had to withdraw the tool and reinsert. The fourth time it gagged me so bad I threw up. So they seized any further attempts at biopsy. I am scheduled to go back on 27 March 2015 and they will do another exam and if the spot is still there, then I will be scheduled for a surgical biopsy and put to sleep in a operating room and the biopsy will be taken then.

I've had 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemos 8 hrs each.....I pray I won't have to go through that again......don't feel I'll make it through that again.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would think TDIU P&T is a Government benefit from injuries while in the military that renderers a vet disable, so if he was awarded TDIU P&T at earlier age Then that means he can't work if he wanted to due to his SC disability.

SSR or SSDI is and should be consider separate benefits

SO actually its unfair because most veterans can't work until there 62 or 65,66 to get more when they do retire on SSR (only) so not working they can't get work credits with SS & No one can live off 948....RETIRMENT PACKAGE! But add another 348 /400 if the veteran is getting SSDI...So say 1400 monthly income? BS

This is pretty ridiculous budget cut to come up with Veterans could lose everything they got house car family no telling what else there life maybe?

They should cut them high ass salary's that congress gets! 6 digit incomes & leave the veterans the hell alone!

jmo

.......................Buck!

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

no. first, there is a chart for you to check (depending on your birthday) when you reach 100 percent of your social security. i opted to take my social security at 62 too and as far as i know, that is the rate i will be paid until i die.

iceturkee - is there a reason you didn't file for SSDI?? I know a few people who took early SSR, at age 62, and later applied for SSDI. They won and received an increase to their full retirement rate and retro pay. Maybe, you should look into it? You may have a better chance than winning any lottery! jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

It is really nice that the DVA currently pays TDIU to veterans who are over their allowed retirement age and it is one h*ll of a retirement pkg!!! My argument would be that age 65-67yo is not a mandatory retirement age. If the veteran is transitioned from SSDI due SS having to change payment accounts, they should not penalize the veteran. On the other hand if a claimant takes an early retirement and then files a claim for TDIU, I can see them withholding TDIU. TDIU is for those who are unemployable, not unemployed. I think I've been predicting this for about 8-10yrs. jmo

I also see a problem, as there will probably be an increase in claims for 100%, for those who are currently TDIU, which will further burden the already backlogged process, causing further backlog. Years back(1990's, I think) they added 38 CFR 4.16(c.), which required those whose sole disability was a mental illness, and were unemployable, to be rated 100% schedular. It lasted some yrs but was eventually rescinded. They may need to bring 38 CFR 4.16(c.) back! Again, jmo.

pr

PR, i was self employed for a number of years (and didn't report my social security) so i didn't have enough work credits over 10 years to file. i did double check when i filed for my SS at 62 and was told the same thing.

Edited by iceturkee

Then where is it verified that it is not in the CBO 2015 Budget......I can't find anything that shows that the proposal has been disapproved. Surely there must be a way to find out. As far as I can see so far it is still a open CBO 2015 Budget proposal. It is not a sequester but a justification for budget dollars in mandatory spending category that reduces the deficit. It is also logical that a vet at retirement age is not seeking employment but has retired and drawing normal SS benefit and thus how would he be considered unemployable if he/she has opted to retire and not work. I can understand the rationale there. That's why we need to know exactly what the status of this proposal is........is it open or is it closed and dead?

and why should it be? the president (because of the va scandal backlash) asked for a 9 billion increase in the va budget. that's increase, not decrease. until the president says otherwise, the va is still exempt from the sequestration.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think this would apply to all veterans if it passes 100% 150% 190% or 90% getting TDIU at 100%

the only exemption would be if the veterans disability will never get better & is of nature and he is permanent disable & P&T & has 10 uninterrupted years in.

In my opinion this is not just the veterans that get TDIU that are qualified to lose there rating its for every veteran.

I just don't see in reality how this would pass there's to many veterans receiving TDIU and veterans receiving 100%& what it would do to there lives and family's

How would that be fair only applying this to the TDIU Veterans? a 90% Veteran is just as disable as a 100% vet in my opinion, its just a nice benefit the VA has for the Veteran to help his family out as well as the 100%veteran and it should not be taken away from him to satisfy the deficit

They need to look at other ways other programs to cut like there own salary's but nope they want to hurt the disable veteran and there family's

jmo

.........................Buck!

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!