Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help With Research On Disability Claim

Rate this question

auenone

Question

Good afternoon,

I have a cervical condition, severe arthritis, etc., on the left side of my neck. In jump school at Ft. Benning I was the first picked to do a plf off the 4' platform, caught my heel on the edge and landed on my neck and knees at the same time. My neck cracked twice when I hit but never reported it as I was so embarrassed and the Sergeant told me to get up and try again, which was successful this time. What I need is for someone that was there or knows of someone in the 4th Student Bn that began 12 Jan 1967 to contact me.

The other incident was when we were ambushed 21 May of 1969. I was hit with the blast of a claymore that killed my squad leader and then a grenade went off and get shrapnel in my legs. I believe there was more damage to my neck as the blast came from my right side, snapping my neck to the left. Once again, I never said anything or may have mentioned it to the doctor but nothing went on record. Neck has bothered me since that time and has progressively gotten worse. I should have started this inquiry long ago but time flies when you're 66. The VA doc said there's no way this is related to the Army even though it shows it is traumatic arthritis. I've never had any accidents and was a runner in high school.

What are my options in filing an FDC? Will they just throw it out or is there a snowball's chance? I have had an MRI and x-rays but need more than that.

Thanks a bunch and good luck.

In the military, your buddies and comrades will often pressure you into "sucking it up", and not reporting to sick bay. Im sure that saves the military billions of dollars because, as you found out, sometimes it makes your case very hard to prove.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think a lot of veterans never reported their injury while in Nam, (if not serious injury) I know I I'm guilty of not reporting some that was not all that bad, I remember early morning on incoming mortar rounds ( harassment ) we got used to it it happen so much, one night I was late getting to the bunker and caught some fragments in my right ankle...me and my buddies just clean the wound & got medical dressing/ointments from the unit medic (unofficially) and after a few days it was ok, but not only me lot of others did the same...knowing what I know now Hell yes I would have reported it.

still have a scare from it.

One time I was getting ready to go outside the perimeter and was checking the water in the radiator of the 2/1/2 ton truck (Duce &Half) I was up on the bumper and taking the cap off and then hot steam blew out right into my face I fell off the truck and the steam had blister my right side & part my face forhead.....I Never said anything about that I just Dr it myself buddies ask me what happen I told them what happen some said I should go see the medic...I said oh no I'll be alright its just a little scrape burn...I got over that but years later 30 or so years later I developed arthritis in my knees ...I ask my VA PCP if that could have caused my arthritis he said yes it could have!

so I got it SC....but no compensation...back in my Vietnam days I just never thought about injury's like these...we just took care of each other.

...............................Buck

Any Hearts, Stars or CIB from Nam? What is your 40% SC for? As for an FDC filing, slim & None. An FDC only stays an FDC as long as the Rating Dept doesn't think more Evidence (Medical or MSR) is required. If that happens your FDC becomes a Regular Axx Claim. What do you have to loose throw it up and see what sticks. Might get C & P faster, who knows.

You've already had some push back on the above mentioned contentions, right. If you your right, file the claim. With that said and not knowing what your current SCs are for, let's tlak Nam Vet. Your 66+/- and a Nam Combat Vet. Tinnitus 10%, any of the AO Presumptive s, PTSD, Sleep Apnea and probably a few I've missed. Have you been examined specifically for any of these conditions? Along with these are a host of Secondary SC Issues. If you don't suffer some sort of Sleep issues your a very luck Nam Vet.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Definitely need to get an independent medical examination and opinion. That will help carry the ball for you across the goal line.

Mark

Thank you for all of your replies,

I was in the 173rd Airborne Brigade and at that time you were SUPPOSED to be tougher than anyone else. You didn't go to sick call when you were in the rear unless you were almost dead.

I don't believe there are any medical records as to my neck hurting as I had shrapnel in my legs from the ambush which is more than I wanted to deal with in the first place. Didn't know I had grenade shrapnel in my legs until after the adrenaline wore off and they medivaced my squad leader.

I was also on a 4.2 inch mortar when I first got to the rvn and later went to LRRP school at LZ English where all of this crap started. I'll file for tinnitus with the neck.

Anyway, I received an x-ray in 2009 at the VA and they found some severe arthritis, etc., on the left side of my cervical spine. Went to physical therapy at Long Beach VA and it did very little to help.

Thanks again for the replies and good luck.