Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Memorial Day At Lowe's

Rate this question

vern2

Question

Just a word to those non-retired VETS. I spoke with Lowe's of Pensacola at Mobile Highway yesterday about Vets shopping at Lowe's on Memorial Day. Mr. JR Land, manager, stated that those Vets would need to bring a copy of their DD 214 as proof of service in order to get the 10% discount. Retirees with ID card already get this discount year-round. I think that Home Depot has the same policy, but not sure. I am going back today and ask about Vets with the VA picture ID. Seems like this would suffice, IMHO. Will post as soon as I find the answer.

Vern 2

Ive had a much easier time at Lowe's getting my discounts than at Home Depot. HD makes you wait for management approval, and wont give it to you if they think you are a contractor, buying "too much" stuff.

I try to always ask for my discounts. Even if they dont give them, it raises awareness. Often, No military discount means I dont buy. I walk away on purpose.

I use this especially if I am "thinking" about buying something. I let "them" decide. No discount..no sale.

Discounts are always appreciated, never expected (unless advertised).

You may get 5 different answers from 5 different employees/managers at 5 different stores or even the same location.

This is, in part, because neither business posted the clear details on their website for years. Finally Lowes has it here: http://www.lowes.com/cd_in-store+services+_745829091_

but Home Depot still doesn't have a clear published policy so no wonder it'll be presented differently all over.

Lowes: "We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must: Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

Hats off to all businesses wh honor veterans with discounts! :smile:

I've been getting the discount at both places for a couple of years. VA photo ID is required.

I try to push the Veterans discount idea elsewhere like Public for food and ask "Do you have a Veterans discount like Lowes and Home Depot"?

• HadIt.com Elder

In Dallas they pretty much give it if you have a VA ID Card, a Military Cap or even dog tags. They do not combine discounts but 10% can add up.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know if this is true or not but I heard the man and wife that started Home Depot....got a bitter Divorce years ago and the wife started Lowes to be in competition with her EX.

Anyway I thought that was something eh!

.............................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!