Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Deepwater sailor

Question

A veteran's story... after service.

A difficult, but true story with a warning to Veterans. Fore-warned is forearmed.

Like many others, I enlisted in the military, to do my part. It never occurred to me, beforehand, that such as this story would occur.

I find most veterans are reluctant to discuss their ‘stressors’. After years of experience with VA hospitals, I don’t remember anyone ever telling me what happened to them. Those painful events are personal, private and burdensome.

I don’t want to discuss my ‘stressors’ either; suffice to say they occurred and I struggled with them for years, before I sought help at Fort Harrison, MT.

The process being what it is, I received many demands for information and ordered to numerous examinations. At the end of each communication, VA threatened to dismiss my claim, if I did not comply.

With each new demand I spent days or weeks struggling with my memories and flashbacks, trying to meet VA’s requirements of the moment. For those fortunate enough not to understand that struggle, hours and sometimes days are lost to thoughts and overwhelming states of mind. Staying on task is usually very difficult, if not impossible.

Each new brief submitted by VA was rife with errors. Often it required eight to ten pages to correct the critical errors made by VA’s claim of the “facts”. The true facts were in the record and the errors were always skewed to my disadvantage. VA’s inability to get it right has made for me some very dark years.

I submitted to numerous Compensation & Pension (C&P) examinations. The consensus was: “chronic & severe PTSD”. Unsatisfied with these diagnoses, VA requested some of the doctor’s change their diagnoses. These requests were illegal and fraudulent, they are also in the record, much to VA’s chagrin and I suspect that of the doctors involved.

Once the first examiners had reversed their diagnoses per request, VA set about having the record and examinations reviewed by numerous other doctors, who expanded on the fraudulent opinions with even more fraud. At one point an examiner stated I was not credible because I had “requested” so many C&P exams. Fortunately there was an honest physician that pointed out I had not requested the examinations, but had been ordered by VA to comply or have my claim dismissed.

After several years of treatment, a doctor recommended I seek representation by a service organization. Up to that point I had merely jumped through the hoops required by VA. I did not understand the process. In hindsight, a veteran should not need to understand the process or deal with a predatory VA. Their service should be honored by an honest and forthright Veterans Administration, as promised and as required by law.

Disabled American Veterans (DAV) was recommended to me and I made numerous efforts to enlist the help of DAV, only to be rejected by Mr. K.G. in his condescending manner. His reason… I had begun by talking with someone else. This seems absurd, but nonetheless true.

After seven years of submitting to VA’s process, my claim made it to the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC), in 2006. I retained representation by B&M, a veteran’s law firm in Bethesda, MD. During that time, the Court decided I also needed to be represented by a service organization. My attorney informed me of this and asked whom I wanted to give Power of Attorney (POA), for my claim. I explained to the attorney that I had tried to enlist DAV’s help, but Mr. K.G. had refused to accept my POA.

The Court assigned DAV to my claim and my attorney and VA jointly agreed to remand the matter. My attorney told me remand was "the best I could hope for". Although in the end, the facts that won the Court’s reversal and my service connection were of record and in his possession, when he said remand was "the best I could hope for".

When I approached Mr. K.G., expecting help with the next step, he made it plain that he resented being assigned by the Court. He accused me of “some underhanded dealings” and said “Go home… don’t do anything… don’t call anybody, don’t write anybody… and don’t come back to this office”. I have not gone back and I will never forget his words.

Eight years later, my claim made it back to CAVC, with B&M representing me again. My attorneys began again saying remand was "the best I could hope for", but this time I refused, up front, to accept a remand and insisted they read my statements concerning VA’s fraudulent prosecution of my claim and seek reversal of VA’s denial of benefits.

With a small and insignificant exception, B&M’s brief to CAVC in 2014 was a reiteration of my statements. While I am grateful for B&M’s assistance and the Court’s reversal of VA’s denial, granting me service connection, I have to wonder why the facts were not viewed the first time, eight years prior. The facts used by CAVC in 2014 were present in the record in 2006 when my “best hope” was remand.

My attorneys were well paid for their service. With the Court’s reversal in hand, they correctly predicted that VA would “drag their feet and low-ball my rating”. Then they offered to prevent this continued injustice and see that the Court’s orders were carried out… for a 1/3 share… which was over 5 years of benefits. I declined their offer, believing that the Court’s orders must be carried out… period. Shouldn’t they? I’m beginning to wonder!

In a few days, it will be a year since the Court granted my service connection. To date, I have received a form letter from Fort Harrison, MT confirming receipt of my claim from CAVC and the Court’s decision, but nothing else. Not a word.

In the Court’s decision, the law requiring expedited handling is quoted and ordered. After months of nothing, I inquired about the required expediting only to be told they “only pay lip-service to that law”. Lip-service only… to the law? That’s outrageous.

About that time, a public relations person from B&M’s office contacted me, wanting to use my name & picture in their professional advertisements, because “reversals are rare”. I expressed my desire to remain private and again explained that their desire for 1/3 of my benefits was unwarranted.

The PR person stated maybe one of the attorneys could make a phone call on my behalf. That was many months ago and I have not heard from them again.

In desperation (I’m about to lose my home), I recently sought ‘un-official’ advice from another service organization, since DAV still refuses to assist me. The other organization found that CAVC’s decision has “not been entered into the computer”. The reason and remedy were unknown. Their advice: be patient. At this point, I have been patient for 16 years.

This other person sent a note to Mr. K.G. at DAV, about our conversation. A few days later, I received a call from DAV, the first since 2006. The woman that called was very smug and reminded me that DAV has my POA. I explained that Mr. K.G. refuses to assist me and I am about to lose my home, to which she said I’d “just have to wait”.

Why am I writing this? I hope it will find the eyes of someone that gives a damn about the law and injustice. And I hope veterans that find themselves in need of assistance will read this and not be hoodwinked as I have been, for years upon years.

Too… I wonder how CAVC Judge S. would feel about “lip-service” to the law and his order.

Sincerely,

Edited by Tbird
�R�e�m�o�v�e�d� �p�e�r�s�o�n�a�l� �I�d�e�n�t�i�f�i�c�a�t�i�o�n� �I�n�f�o�r�m�a�t�i�o�n

Sadly I agree with you guys above. There are so many Vets on here, or that I have tried to help outside of Hadit that are not truthful. They come on here or to me, and say "Oh the VA has screwed or lowballed me, and I don't know why". Then I get into the truth, and guess what they either never served in a War, no medical evidence, or flat out making conditions up to get money. I am in no way saying this about all Vets, in fact 99% deserve every benefit and dollar they can get, but when folks lie or jam up the VA system with Fraud claims, and freeking pisses me off. There are too many Starving and Homeless Vets that need the help and yet they have a long way to go. In my home town there is a 65 year old woman that lost her husband over a year ago, he was 72, 65% SC but IU 100%. Well he died of something he was not SC for, and had not reached the 10 yr rule. Well she was only married to him for 30 years and he had told her he was in Vietnam and Korea, and did all this secret stuff. Well he was a nice enough man, but talked too much about secret missions, and I knew something was up, because he was a member of the Legion, but not VFW, even though they are both local. Well she applied for the VA benefits and income, after he died that she thought she was entitled too. Well when the VA issued her a copy of his DD 214, he in fact worked in the Motor pool and was never in a War or Action. So apparently he lied to his own Wife for over 30 years. Well she asked me to help and when I showed her the truth, she did not want to believe it. Now she had to sell everything but her Double Wide, and was semi retired and had to go back to work. She did not deserve to be put thru all this crap, all because he was dishonest and wanted to make people thank that he was a Hero, when he was a good enough person to serve in the Military for over 8 years, even though he did not serve in War.

Just tired of Deserving Vets getting Run Over, by bad people taking advantage of the Government!!!

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

• HadIt.com Elder

Navy04

A Veteran does not need to serve in a War or Conflict to be entitled to VA Compensation, he/she could only served in the US.

if the veteran was injured any time he/she was on AD is entitled to VA Compensation & even if it took years after Discharge for the disability to manifest its self to hinder the veteran disable.

These are in the CFR's don't know the Numbers off the top of my head but there in there.

At my VAMC a lot of the Veterans love to tell stories of war that have never served in war time...to me I think they wanted to but never had the opportunity. if we can call it an opportunity?

...Actually I was serving in Germany of the first part of 1968, then came down on what they called a levee and got orders for the RVN, I Ended up serving two tours in Vietnam (to qualify for President Nixon early out discharge program).....first year was fairly bad I never like to talk about what I seen & went through, the second year was not so bad. but it was bad all over Vietnam For all the soldiers US Army,USMC, Navy and US Air Force.

My opinion We were all are brothers and we watched each other backs.

Some times I have bad thoughts of it and I probably will until the day I die All Veterans Will.

I do remember when I first arrived to my unit how some the elder soldiers where in boonie hats & called us Newbie's New-boots, Mommys boy, as I looked at there dark tan weathered blistery faces with shirts off some how it didn't piss me off because I knew these guys have been to hell and back and now its my turn.

If I had to do it all over again would I? hell yes I would.

It's been such a long long time ago my memory fades me but what I do remember this

In my life time I know I could never have met a better bunch of brave men than the ones I served with & did get to meet and know very well, Black or White we were all the same and I still think and feel that way today.

I went from a young boy 18 to a man in the blink of an eye.

........................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• Founder

Opened back up but please lets not get into fight over this.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Censorship is not your friend, Thersa. I never do it on my site. I may not like the tenor, but as long as it doesn't touch on politics or religion. it deserves a voice. I'm not sure how to approach this one. Someone is not being forthright with themselves or me and is casting the blame off. I refuse to rise to de bait (sic). I'll use small font so as not to offend anyone.

Clear prop

Edited by asknod

• Founder

Closing a topic is not censorship. I thought it had ran it's course, but clearly I was wrong and corrected my mistake and opened this topic back open. Folks can always open a new topic which Berta did in Social Chat so I combined the two and opened this thread back up.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

Well Asknod you didn't do anything wrong!

If pointing out some inconsistencies that this veteran obviously has (from reading his CAVC case Docket to compared to what he posted, That Asknod only pointed that out to him, he should have been grateful if he wants help with his claim.

Asknod was simply referring to him to be honest.

Asknod is one of the best VA experienced adjudicators there is& fellow Vietnam veteran I'm very proud to get to know him and happy he spends a lot of his time helping us veterans.

has he can back up what he says.

Maybe this veteran can get help with his claim from some other site if he choose to do so....like maybe'' W.W.P''

just my humble opinion!

,.....................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!