VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Review

Rate this question

RAKMEDIC3/187

Question

Hello,

I have just recently stumbled on this site while searching for answers... About 5-6 years ago, I applied for PTSD compensation. I was awarded something like 10% at that time. During my C&P, two things I was told affected the low ball on this. The first being that I was never awarded my CMB, although I should have been more than once. The second was that I was getting good grades in school while working a full time job. The examiner had questioned why I did not even receive a CAB, I am guessing that he did not know that as a medic this was not something I could have earned.

After the time of the Award, I was sent to Walter Reed for a mental health eval, and soon came back to find that I was being booted from the National Guard. My Social worker at the VA gave me a choice of either checking into a mental health clinic or being forced into one. I chose to go on my own... While there I had asked that my rating be increased, and it was soon increased to 50%.

NOW, I have another appointment dated for 29th of June. In the last few years, I went back to school using the VocRehab, and finished my degree in 2014. I am worried that they are going to use that same thinking that there is no way that there is any mental impairment in this individual because he was able to finish school with a GPA of 3.4 while being a father of 2 young kids.

Please if anyone would have any information for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Since you've graduated what kind of job have you found? Doing well academically does not guarantee a successful job/career.

Hello,

I have just recently stumbled on this site while searching for answers... About 5-6 years ago, I applied for PTSD compensation. I was awarded something like 10% at that time. During my C&P, two things I was told affected the low ball on this. The first being that I was never awarded my CMB, although I should have been more than once. The second was that I was getting good grades in school while working a full time job. The examiner had questioned why I did not even receive a CAB, I am guessing that he did not know that as a medic this was not something I could have earned.

After the time of the Award, I was sent to Walter Reed for a mental health eval, and soon came back to find that I was being booted from the National Guard. My Social worker at the VA gave me a choice of either checking into a mental health clinic or being forced into one. I chose to go on my own... While there I had asked that my rating be increased, and it was soon increased to 50%.

NOW, I have another appointment dated for 29th of June. In the last few years, I went back to school using the VocRehab, and finished my degree in 2014. I am worried that they are going to use that same thinking that there is no way that there is any mental impairment in this individual because he was able to finish school with a GPA of 3.4 while being a father of 2 young kids.

Please if anyone would have any information for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thats a little different. As long as you have a verifiable stressor and treatment records they can try to refute it but they can't change facts. There are reasons why you get hazard duty pay and hostile fire pay. I was in Bucca, Iraq for a while, and although it was not daily, we got hit with mortars and rockets a few times. Pucker factor was there several times I can assure you. I neither got the CAB or anything. In any case that is irrelevant. The point being look at your DD214 you should have some annotations there. Also look up some of the news articles from the time frames you were there. If you guys had any type of action, logs and articles in the papers can be of a big help. Better yet your Unit should still have logs. I don't recall the suspense dates for accessing them but they can be found.

This may be a little premature but do you have any of the records, specifically medical treatment records, oh and did you go through the process of a med board. Sorry maybe giving you too much. As long as you are getting treatment on the private or VA side and keep continuity going you should be on the safe side.

• HadIt.com Elder

T The rating for PTSD should be based on severity of symptoms and not on any medals you got for combat. If you were in a combat zone and VA doctor says you have ptsd that is enough to get 100%. It is how your ptsd affects your ability to work and live normal life that touches your rating. Some guys have silver star and CIB and three PH's and don't have PTSD.

Hello again,

Thank you for replying to me. Yes, I do have a job now.. I sit alone and I bring up a report of tasks that need to be accomplished each day. The job that I had previous was with the postal service, but I gave that up when I went back to school.

I have been wondering if they would accept an article from me, it is some of what has been bothering me. I think that the article was in the New York Times or maybe the NewYorker. I will have to research it, but it seems that the title was "Kill Company" or something of that sort. I was part of this mission as well as many others.

PTSD definatly is troublesome for me on a daily basis, other than going to work I do not go out of the house. I still only go places late at night when I do not have to worry about a crowd... The few circumstances where I have been out in a crowded environment have not went well and usually end with me ensuring that I still have my sidearm and moving towards the nearest exit.

I am guessing that these are things that I need to bring up at the review.

Could it have been that them questioning no CMB or CAB was trying to establish whether I was in a "stressful" situation? Because I do remember that I was asked to write down stressful situations after my C&P exam.

Thanks again.

Hello again,

Thank you for replying to me. Yes, I do have a job now.. I sit alone and I bring up a report of tasks that need to be accomplished each day. The job that I had previous was with the postal service, but I gave that up when I went back to school.

I have been wondering if they would accept an article from me, it is some of what has been bothering me. I think that the article was in the New York Times or maybe the NewYorker. I will have to research it, but it seems that the title was "Kill Company" or something of that sort. I was part of this mission as well as many others.

PTSD definatly is troublesome for me on a daily basis, other than going to work I do not go out of the house. I still only go places late at night when I do not have to worry about a crowd... The few circumstances where I have been out in a crowded environment have not went well and usually end with me ensuring that I still have my sidearm and moving towards the nearest exit.

I am guessing that these are things that I need to bring up at the review.

Could it have been that them questioning no CMB or CAB was trying to establish whether I was in a "stressful" situation? Because I do remember that I was asked to write down stressful situations after my C&P exam.

Thanks again.

Inquiry was your exam done at the VAMC, if so do you have copies of this exam? Have you read through it? If it was done at a QTC, VES or some other hired medical manipulators, have you done a FOIA? ( Freedom of Information Act) request?

Hello there and thank you for your service!

PTSD comes in many fashions. A lot of misonception of PTSD is that it is only related to "combat" but that is not the case. I suffer from PTST/MST and an eating disorder. I am rated 30% because while I am able to hold down a job and live as normal as I can, I still suffer every day with my trauma. It's hard but I manage to get up every day and go to work and live as best as I can. In addition I have weekly therapy on the outside and that is a tremendous help. Once I am completed with that treatment I will head to the VA for additional treatment.

PTSD will never have a cure but it's how you manage it and live with it that counts. Some choose to NEVER get help and some choose to not acknowledge it...Those people will allow PTSD to overcome their lives.

I choose to try and understand my PTSD and learn to live with it!

You might see a decrease due to the ability of you being able to work but in reality that should be okay b/c you are one of the elite with PTSD that can go to school and work. Be proud of your accomplishments but also know you are entitled to help!

We all can get through this with understanding and support!