VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can The City Of Columbus, Ohio Attach My Tdiu

Rate this question

lcplcookba1

Question

From what I can find on here I think the answer is NO. However I couldn't find anywhere were a state tax department was the source of the garnishment. also I talked to my bank and said I would have to wait until the garnishment came thru and they would put the funds on hold, meanwhile my car gets repoed...... Really, I think there's another solution. Anybody???

Edited by lcplcookba1

Check with your local Legal Aid on this. Back in the early 70's I a was I debt collector for a major Finance Co. Usually after a default judgment and the 1st garnishment hit, some Wise Debtors would go into court on their own and request a stay on future garnishments and set up a repayment plan. Back then, the courts were very lenient, from our perspective; allowing a debtor to make 10 or $15 monthly payments. As long as the payments to the court were made, no garnishments could be issued. I think this process was referred to as, a Conciliation Court Payment arrangement.

Other than the above, setting up a new Direct Deposit CU account, depending on the creditor; might give you some breathing room.

Semper Fi

From what I can find on here I think the answer is NO. However I couldn't find anywhere were a state tax department was the source of the garnishment. also I talked to my bank and said I would have to wait until the garnishment came thru and they would put the funds on hold, meanwhile my car gets repoed...... Really, I think there's another solution. Anybody???

fom what  i have been told lcpcookba1: VA disability is  untouchable.

Is there any way that you can work out a solution with the City of Columbus? I know that the IRS will make reasonable agreements. You might be pleasantly surprised! No fun getting nastygrams from government. Good luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

One possible "fly in the - - -" when credit cards are involved has to do with which state laws apply. It's part of the credit card agreement you signed or agreed to.

A separate non back account may or may not help. But it might slow things down.

For obvious reasons, my SSA and VA "checks" go into different accounts at different financial institutions. (Banks, Brokers, etc.)

The VA amount is immediately moved into another account and converted into market based assets that I can convert to cash on demand.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

Various government entities have been hiring collection agencies. It's possible that a garnishment will show up as a collection agency garnishment without an obvious tie back to the originator.