Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Diagnosed With Symptoms But Not Ptsd

Rate this question

KYVet

Question

Hello all! I am a new member to the group and can not say enough about how valuable this forum is and has been. I am a OIF veteran (2003) and have recently started having some of what I think might be early precursors to PTSD. A little pretext to my situation: I have served 12 years in the military. I have two stressors miltary related. As a result, I have, in the distant past, experienced smell flashbacks and nightmares. At one point, had what I believe to be a severe panic attack bringing me to my knees with shortness of breath, racing heart, etc after military service. When it was done I felt like I had been in a fight with a bear. I recently lost my 22 yo daughter in June of 2014 to cancer. My most recent issues have been avoiding crowds, feeling like I have to have a plan to defend myself from any one in a room, restaurant, store etc. should they decide to attack, back to the wall at all times preferably with an exit in sight. I am very sensitive to loud noises and startle easily. At times I have panic attacks and feel like I have an elephant sitting on my chest and get flush in my face, etc. I feel like I have to be in total control of my environment at all times or the panic will set in (if that makes any sense).

Without boring you all with any further details, i have just now started getting some therapy from the VA reference this. In fact my second visit with the therapist is in July. I am currently 70% sc with other physical issues. I recently downloaded what is called the VA Problem List from the MyHealtheVet and the therapist has labled it Anxiety NOS, Bereavment, and Depressive Disorder NOS. I am not sure if this is a diagnosis or just a starting point. If it is a diagnosis, anxiety and depression are symptoms of PTSD so why not a PTSD diagnosis since I have stressors that are provable. Now granted the therapist, I assume at this point, has only taken my word when it comes to my stressors and I have only begun the documentation phase of my PTSD claim. I am just wondering if this is something I have to let play out or if I need to get on top of this to steer it in the direction of my PTSD claim. Thanks for any help.

And thank you all for your service! If not us, then who!

I saw two different psychologist It was on my third or fourth visit I was diagnosed with ptsd. I then downloaded by the blue button my diagnoses and submitte my cliam and attached all my evidence.

Bassrunnin1: You didn't have a Mental Health DX prior to your Active Duty, right? Was the Non VA Dr aware of your pre-servce abuse and did he opine as to how it contributed to your current condition? Did he/she complete a VA PTSD DBQ for your SC claim?

Bassrunnin1: You didn't have a Mental Health DX prior to your Active Duty, right? Was the Non VA Dr aware of your pre-servce abuse and did he opine as to how it contributed to your current condition? Did he/she complete a VA PTSD DBQ for your SC claim?

Are you availing yourself of the VA Mental Health Services provided by your local VAMC?

Semper Fi

Gastone

No, I did not have a diagnosed mental condition when I joined the military. When my cup overfilled, I had called the VA crisis hotline and found me a therapist (at that time didn't know about VA therapist). At that time I was really dealing with the military stuff and needed much needed help just to keep me sane. The abuse and stuff we didn't talk about for at least a couple of months of therapy because the military stuff was so consuming at the time. Back about a year ago, I was admitted to the VA medical Psych Facility. It was when I was there that the nurses talked to me about doing a claim based on the MST (didn't even know u could do that since it's not combat related). They said that I needed to talk to a VA counselor about the MST in order to help me personnaly and also for claim purposes. Probably the best advice I had ever gotten. My personal therapist never did a DBQ for me since I had the hospitalization, saw VA psych DR for Meds and started seeing a VA therapist, tried doing Voc Rehab and they kicked me out. So I had a pretty solid case. My Therapist did write a letter to the C&P examiner concerned that the exam would trigger dissociation and may not be able to talk about details, so she helped me write the account so that I wouldn't have to say it outloud. So that helped me as well.

Are you availing yourself of the VA Mental Health Services provided by your local VAMC?

I was, but the Psych med providers are to hard to get an appointment when you need one. I have Bipolar also and I cycle every 6 weeks or so, so I needed to be able to make quick med changes in order to find the right cocktail to help me. So now I see an outside provider for meds. But I do make appointments with the VA med provider so that I can get the meds from the VA if in their formulary. Other than that no. After my claim was won, my personal therapist in my only counselor that I use. I also use the VA for PHP as well. Hope this answers your questions.

• HadIt.com Elder

could there be a presumptuous of a stressor? especially if that stressor happen in a combat hostile area.

say the Vietnam conflict...because some times nothing is ever reported by the veteran and years later starts to relive his combat duty & his life is destroyed because of it.

.............Buck

I think Buck is correct here. If the Veteran is in combat, I think the burden to prove a stressor is lessened. War is war. They dont take video cameras around to document everything that happens. For Veterans brave enough to risk their life serving our country in combat, their word should be taken on face value.

If the VA Meds don't work as well as the Non Formulary Meds, talk to your VA PC DR or Mental Health provider. The VA wants you to try what they have but your not locked into just what's on the VA list of available drugs. Just a note to the VA Pharmacy from your treating VA DR can get non-formulary prescriptions delivered to you on a regular basis.

Thanks for the quick response

Semper Fi

Gastone