Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Initial Mh Eval

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Tomorrow afternoon I am going for my initial MH eval. Feels like the day I shipped out to boot camp, scared out of my mind!

Great news bud, glad to see you made it thru the appt. I had the same Trauma doc at VA for over year, and then she retired so a few weeks ago I had to meet a new Doc. She was nice, but it was very stressful for me, cause it seems like we have to keep living this crap, and repeat when the VA decides to Fire, Hire someone, or a Doc Retires or Quits. Just so hard for us to start over bud. We are here for you and keep it going bud. God Bless

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Thanks, Navy04, I'm glad someone cares. Back in the late 90s it took a VA doc to retire, before I was able to get SC for my knees. So, sometimes the change over is good. But with MH, I'm sure it's a whole different ball of wax. Now for the obvious question, how long should I wait before filing a claim for SC MH?

Semper Fi.

Andy

File ASAP. But that means get your ducks in order first. Have you got your Nexus statement yet? For many, no mental health issues arose in-service. In these cases especially, you will need a Nexus statement (or IMO) from doctor specializing in MH (psychiatrist). Many posts here regarding format, content, and providers of "nexus" statements. Once you have your statement, file.

• HadIt.com Elder

Here ya go Andyman73

click the link and print this out and just had your information & take to your Dr your VA Doc can sign it or IMO Doc

http://usva101.org/nexus.html

you can also print off the DBQ Form

...........Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Just remember when you talk to VA shrinks or doctors don't talk about your childhood except in the most rosy terms. Everything was great up until the military. Now since military all is crap. Your problems began in the military, and have been dogging you ever since. Anything you say can and will be used either for you or against you. Perfect honesty is great but not at the VA. If they or you can't prove it then it did not happen. They will damn you with your own words if you are not careful. You know since I got out of the Army in 1971 I have been in some kind of mental health therapy. I never let them forget that.

If not for therapy from private psychologist I would be dead, in jail or a street person since they cannot just commit people to mental institutions and throw away the key like they used to do. Pour your heart out to private doctors, not to VA doctors. They have a conflict of interest as do you.

John

File ASAP. But that means get your ducks in order first. Have you got your Nexus statement yet? For many, no mental health issues arose in-service. In these cases especially, you will need a Nexus statement (or IMO) from doctor specializing in MH (psychiatrist). Many posts here regarding format, content, and providers of "nexus" statements. Once you have your statement, file.

Ok, when should I get the Nexus statement? Since it was only just my initial consult/eval, should I wait until a few more sessions? I know this, I was stopped seconds from attempting to cut my wrists(the long way), while at work, in my workspace. I drank to excess and was picked up for public intox, and had a 3 week outpatient substance abuse counseling. And many sinus and gastro issues due to stress, all in my SMR. Do these count as MH issues/symptoms? Thanks, TexasMarine,

Semper Fi.

Here ya go Andyman73

click the link and print this out and just had your information & take to your Dr your VA Doc can sign it or IMO Doc

http://usva101.org/nexus.html

you can also print off the DBQ Form

...........Buck

BUCK!!! Coming through like a Champ! I tried to print from work, but new systems still got bugs to work out. Will try again from home! Thank you so very much!

Just remember when you talk to VA shrinks or doctors don't talk about your childhood except in the most rosy terms. Everything was great up until the military. Now since military all is crap. Your problems began in the military, and have been dogging you ever since. Anything you say can and will be used either for you or against you. Perfect honesty is great but not at the VA. If they or you can't prove it then it did not happen. They will damn you with your own words if you are not careful. You know since I got out of the Army in 1971 I have been in some kind of mental health therapy. I never let them forget that.

If not for therapy from private psychologist I would be dead, in jail or a street person since they cannot just commit people to mental institutions and throw away the key like they used to do. Pour your heart out to private doctors, not to VA doctors. They have a conflict of interest as do you.

John

John,

First off, I am so sorry that you've been running this marathon since then. I know my own father was in Nam from late '68 to early '70. And he stayed in until '92. I only answered the docs questions, as he asked, about my personal/family life. He was only asking the basic questions, not in depth detailed stuff. I will try to keep my focus on my AD years, and then the years since, focusing on dealing with the VA.

Thanks, all of you, for your service, and for here, helping me, and all others. God bless you all!

Semper Fi.

Andy