VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Too Late For Me?

Rate this question

Charlieg

Question

I am a USAF Gulf War Vet. Left service in 1992 and went to VA clinic for skin rash medication and stomach issues as I can remember. I had a very serious rash on my feet while in Saudi Arabia and did not go away for years. Also was rushed to Air Force hospital after coming home with stomach issues and had tests but no diagnosis. I stopped going to the Va clinic after only about 3 visits because of work. Just could not keep getting time off. Over the years I thought about checking in with the va but never seemed to have time and when I needed help I would just go to a family doctor. My va card is so old as compared to others that I've seen. I was doing some construction work in a va clinic and asked about my status and was told that they had never seen a card like mine. I've had a lot of the same symptoms that others here have, just wondering if I can still get help. Or is it too late.

We do have insurance but its a Health Savings Account which means I pay the first 11000. So I need to use the VA. Although I did find a new clinic in town for my sons physical for school but she is only a P.A. My doctor here wants 175 to walk thru the door and he uses P.A.s its hard to get him to actually see me. We have a va clinic 45 mins away and a va hospital 2 hrs away. I dont know how this is going to play out but at least im back in the system now. Still curious where my records are.

Charlieg great news getting back into the system so quick. I'm still waiting but the claim is started. I have to fill out the specific issues I'm having for the GWUI(Gulf War Undiagnosed Issues oxymoron in of itself) according to my latest development letter. I may have IBS(starting in service by my SMR and now my with private medial records show) but never diagnosed but have the stomach issues and other issues that essentially point to IBS. And now that I'm on pain meds for my back issues I have the exact opposite issues. I've seen PA's most of the time at a Family practice and the main DR or two there but they never thread anything together it's always dealing with the "at the moment issues and deal with that only" and no long term look. No further more in depth investigation.This point here is where we suffer the most in all of this IMHO.

Than yes some random rashes. Low energy issues. Heahaches. Muscle joint pain(arthritis?yes maybe). Emergency room 3 times all scans/blood/etc etc normal or negative. Diagnosis: Febrile illnes Add in insomnia and anxiety because of all this and it sucks. And than still having to work full time to pay the bills and insurance, only saving grace is that it's not manual labor or I probably would not have made it this long.

I'll be late 40's in a few weeks and quite frankly I look good on the surface but feel and have the insides of a 65 year old. No offense you older vets. It's as if I aged 15 or 20 years too soon with my symptoms and diagnosed issues.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am a USAF Gulf War Vet. Left service in 1992 and went to VA clinic for skin rash medication and stomach issues as I can remember. I had a very serious rash on my feet while in Saudi Arabia and did not go away for years. Also was rushed to Air Force hospital after coming home with stomach issues and had tests but no diagnosis. I stopped going to the Va clinic after only about 3 visits because of work. Just could not keep getting time off. Over the years I thought about checking in with the va but never seemed to have time and when I needed help I would just go to a family doctor. My va card is so old as compared to others that I've seen. I was doing some construction work in a va clinic and asked about my status and was told that they had never seen a card like mine. I've had a lot of the same symptoms that others here have, just wondering if I can still get help. Or is it too late.

The original VA card I still have somewhere was paper, and showed only the C file number.

I have all of my medical records except my shot records and an appt. with my county va rep to put claim together next tuesday.  The va clinic is treating me for IBS and skin rashes that they are calling psoriasis, but has been called contact dermatitis and eczema at other times.  While researching GWI I ran across a study that showed 211 Gulf War I vets had burning semen.  I had this and my wife paid dearly for it.  It does not bother her anymore but just wondering if anyone here has had it.  I figured the reason only 211 were known to have it was because others didnt say anything.  I sure didnt and would never had thought it had to do with GWI.

I now am able to be seen in my town by a VA approved preferred choice dr office.  She is only a nurse practitioner, but approved and her husband is retired army with 33 years in.  First thing she asked is have I filed a claim and do not hesitate to do it now for anything that might be related to the military service.  I have started the process for skin rashes and shoulder impengment that happened in service.  Think I should leave out IBS and CF since I dont have a diagnosis just being treated for it now.

Went to gulf war exam and dr told me I should file claims and get checked for IBS and CF.  So I may do that after filing for the others first.  Does this sound right.  According to the NGRC I shouldnt claim IBS or CF without a diagnosis.

The VA has a Duty to Assist you in obtaining Medical & Service Records, but that Duty doesn't kick in till you file the actual claim.

If you think you have a possible "SC" Service Connected Medical condition, don't wait, file a Reg Axx Claim. The VA Rating Dept will attempt to help you get the Records and Schedule you for C & P Exams conducted by a VA or contract Dr. Any tests necessary to verify your conditions will also be ordered by the Rating Dept.

Don't put off filing the claim, waiting on evidence. You'll have the VA helping track evidence down, after filing.

Semper Fi