Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Helping A Vn Vet

Rate this question

BUZZ

Question

My friend was in Vietnam and has heart problems and he had 90% blockage and they put a stent in.back in 97.Last year I told him to put a claim in for AO,he did but could not get his old records.The DAV told him to get another stress test so he did and get the results and send it in.He said the stent help with the blockage,will the DAV write to the doctor if they need anymore information.I know when you have heart problems it does not go away.The DAV said it will take awhile to get his claim process ,do you think he has a chance to get sc and a percentage for his claim

Google 38 CFR part 4.104 Schedule of Ratings - Cardiovascular System.

Diagnostic Code 7005 probably best describes your friend's heart problem. As you can see, he would be rated at 10% just for taking heart medication. Even if he was rated at 0% SCN, he is better off filing now in the event his condition becomes worse. If he is married, his wife would be in a better position to file for DIC in the event of his death.

GP

I would be a dollar to a donut that he has developed other blockages since 1997! I believe he should get an angiogram to make sure how all the coronary arteries are doing. The new method of determining whether or not more stents are needed is something called ffr where they measure inflow vs outflow. % of blockage isn't used much any more.

If you decide to go that way remember that you can ask how much experience the operator has. In fact, revealing operator experience is part of the standard of care. If they refuse to tell you, they are committing malpractice. My right radial arteries can never be used again because my last operator had only done 4 procedures before me. She rammed the catheter up my arm 5 times. Naturally, the artery started to spasm. On the left side, they did a through and through with the IV and all of the anesthetic, pain killers, and nitro collected in a pouch under the new fangled tape used to hold it in place. Believe me is was a real shitty day. The radial artery has now scarred shut.

Have your Vietnam vet contact me via PM. It all is on the up and up I will give him direct contact information. Having just gone throught this BS, everything is still very fresh in my mind and the supporting documentation is organized for use.

Edited by GuaymasJim

Great info from GuaymasJim. Please listen to him and have your VN friend listen to him. It could save his life.

I had two stents implanted in September 2012 (95-99% and 80%)and was told my other arteries were no more than 40% blocked. Two months later, in November 2012, I had another stent implanted for 80% blockage. I agree with Jim. If your friend had a 90% blockage of one artery in 1997, he more than likely has other blockages at this time. He should be checked ASAP. Hopefully, he has medicare or private insurance and can go to a private cardiologist rather than a VA doctor. JMO

GP

My friend said that the DAV gave him a forum to give to the doctor to fill out after the stress and said the doctor didn't write to much on the forum he said the DAV got it and sent it in. If they need more information will the DAV write to the doctor or the va? I told my friend aways to make copies of records,he can't remember what was written down.I think if it wasn't enough information the DAV would of told them.