Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Dd-214?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone know if the last country you served in is the only country stated on your DD 214?

or should they be all country's you served in but not the USA.

Example,

A Veteran finished basic training and goes on to his AIT school for his MOS, and then he gets orders for Germany & Spends about a year there and then gets deployed to Vietnam......spends over a year there, veteran has about 6 months left of Active Duty and President Nixon signs a order for early out called ''phase down release program'' (area of time 1969 thru 1975 I believe for the troops in VietNam.....but other country's may qualify? not sure on that?

Veteran gets out with Honorable Discharge and on his DD-214 It only shows his time in service and only list his time spent in RVN.

Is both country's supposed to be on his DD-214? if so how would he get this corrected?

Thanks in Advance.

.................................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

The combat pay / hostile fire pay should show as proof as well. I have even had to send proof to the IRS when they questioned it on some sort of "mini audit" two years removed from some OEF-Philippines trips and tax exemption. (Of course, most people don't even know we participate in OEF actions in the PI. I feel sorry for guys involved in those missions without "desert time", I could see them fighting for legitimacy farther down the road, like guys stationed in surrounding countries during vietnam that were involved in combat actions in places like Cambodia and Laos without boots on the ground "in country".

Also, look for travel orders! It seems like every time I changed foxholes, it was noted in my travel orders. That's a huge exaggeration, but the important travel to and from VN are clearly spelled out. Travel orders aren't part of a DD 214, but they should be part of the records that National archives (or your branch of service depending on dates) sends you when you request your records. I also got all of my fitness reports which showed who I was service with and the dates. I'll dig mine out and see.

As far as the snake goes, I had a great grandfather who loved to fish down in Alabama wearing hip waders. One day he got bitten by cottonmouth or a copperhead (I wasn't even a sperm cell when this happed--it's just family lore so don't know which one. When he felt the bite, he hit the snake with pole and reel and it went away. Some of my great uncle's got him to the hospital and after some real touch and go, he survived (hence that sperm cell I mentioned). The following year, he started up his old hobby using the same set of waders. You guessed it, the fangs from the snake were still embedded in the waders and scratched his leg. Back to the hospital, but this time it wasn't as bad. Now I'm going to tell you the real shitty part of the story: That branch of my family were and some still are extreme skin flints & cheapskates. The great grandfather generation were also members in great standing of the KKK. My ggf sold the waders to a black man he knew and bought a new pair. About a week later somebody took a dump on the front seat of my ggf's car. Either karma or "what goes around comes around" without fail!

I'll pull those papers out this evening and see if there is anything on them that can be helpful.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey, since bunkers were overrun with rats ( snakes like to eat rats) I did catch a big snake in my bunker one night in Nam. I took in back to company area in a bag. I let it go in Officer land. I used to catch snakes of all kinds as a kid in Florida. I was not afraid of them. I did not like those rats at all.

John

Moth balls work pretty good at repelling snakes. I am located south of San Antonio and have to deal with my fair share of snakes, scorpions, tarantulas (like apocalyptic amounts), javelina, cougars etc... hope you get your dd214 squared away.

I'll try the moth balls, too. I have a 6 year old here and I want to keep him safe. I am North of San Antonio near to Canyon Lake. A little different terrain, but not that much different for critters. I have killed 3 large scorpions in the house this week and had one of those big centipedes in the yard, too. Once the new neighbors get done clearing and are settled in, I'm sure things will go back to normal. My neighbor on the other side has had a few show up in their home as well, even though they had it professionally sprayed. All the rain we had is spiking those populations as well.