VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Billing My Federal Employee Health Benefits Plan

Rate this topic

Should the VA be billing my Federal Employee Health Benefits Plans? I'm 80% SC for approximately five years, just recently approved TDIU P&T w/ retro back to September 2011, and a medicare recipient. My wife handles the bills and she asked me this same question. She further states the VA has been billing my FEHB Plan since September 2010. At least back to my initial award of 80% SC. I've always been in Priority Group 1 and I know the VA doesn't bill Medicare.

Edited by MPsgt

• HadIt.com Elder

Congress started allowing the VA to charge our private insurance companies. As far as I know, they are not supposed to bill for services that are services connected. They can't bill us the copay.

Are they still charging, the private insurance companies, at $235, per visit???

pr

they charge my insurance as well.

Interesting that the VA when they had my sleep study done at my local hospital they ended up refusing the charge and am still in the works of getting that paid by the VA. hospital is stuck in the middle, but im not paying either. Im on the border. the state i live in is not the closest VA so i actually see the docs in the adjoining state. The paperwork the adjoining state VA provded listed MY states VA as who to send the bill to. so when the hospital called, MY STATES VA had no idea wha they were tlaking about... and of course the VA cant look in their connected systems...

Congress started allowing the VA to charge our private insurance companies. As far as I know, they are not supposed to bill for services that are services connected. They can't bill us the copay.

Are they still charging, the private insurance companies, at $235, per visit???

pr

PR, When you say private insurance? Does this include Federal Health Insurance? I thought anything concerning the Veteran past 50% SC was covered by the VA. Anything past 100% TDIU P&T would cover the entire eligible family too. I could save a lot of money. Simply, just drop my Federal Health Insurance. Let ChampVA cover the whole cost. Do you agree?

• HadIt.com Elder

Getting the VA to stop billing someone else is often a problem, as is getting them to pay outside providers, and has been so for quite some time.

Currently the VA may be pleading out of money.

It may be time to get the higher ups involved via an email or two.

First, I'd request an "Insurance Audit" from the VA. This may be the most effective way to get someone to look at the problem.

The responsible VAMC is the entity you contact to request the audit. (At least it was when I had to ask for one.)

Sort of unrelated, but maybe not!

A few minutes ago, as I started writing this, I received a call from the VA concerning services under "Choice" Seems that they are trolling for veterans

willing to "sign up" for certain services. ???? When I started asking questions, such as who were the outside providers, etc. I got

"the contractor', instead of who, where, or a list. Being a pessimist by nature, I suspect that either way a veteran answers, the VA is going to use the answers to it's political advantage.

1. More veterans "turned down" the service than accepted, so they prefer the the VA for services.

OR

2. More veterans are participating, so choice must be a "success".

Edited by Chuck75

My private insurance deductable is usually paid by the first of February every year, becasue of my wifes MS, and I am 70% VA, so they do ask me when I go to either about the other, but have never had any bills, etc.

When I turn 60, if will have VA 100% and Tricare for Life. When I turn 65, I will have VA 100%, TFL and Medicare. The trifecta. Can only imagine how much that is going to cost me??

Hamslice