Col Increase For Those On Disability

Rate this question

boomer2

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The current Consumer Price Index (CPI) has been in a downward trend since the beginning of the year.

http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation_Rate/CurrentInflation.asp

similar to what we saw in 2009, which lead to a stagnation in COLA for 3 years.

The 2016 VA disability rates will be known by the middle to end of October, 2015 right after the September Consumer Price Index is released.

Read more: http://militarybenefits.info/va-disability-rates/#ixzz3hqby2zzs

ITS unclear this is JUST a COLA, noting the "period" between the sentences. I could not find the legislation they are referring to.

The U.S. House of Representatives has approved legislation that would increase rates of benefit compensation for veterans with disabilities caused by their military service. Cost-of-living adjustments for veterans' disability benefits must be approved by Congress each year. Another provision based from legislation authored by Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-N.Y.), would require the VA to pay any accrued benefits to a deceased veteran's estate. The VA currently pays accrued benefits to a deceased veteran's family members, such as spouses or dependent children. But the VA keeps the benefit payments if the veteran dies without surviving qualifying family members.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm not sure but its probably less than last year,

I would hope they do another tax exemption like sales tax on anything we buy.

The property tax ex was great, things that help the veteran and his family.

However it don't help the veterans that don't own their home!

so if its a cola raise why not at least 10%, don't get me wrong every little bit helps its better than nothing...but if the cola raise is not keeping up with inflation then I'd rather have a Tax exemption.

jmo

.................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

my understanding is that this is the same as the social security cola increase. the va one has to be approved by congress while the ssa is automatic. r so i think i read. this is not any additionaal monies.