VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Claim

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

This is my first PTSD Claim  and was going to submit my MH VA diagnose notes from the VA Physiatrist and VA Social worker, what notes would be good to submit along with my PTSD Application Claim?  I have the DX PTSD with Unspecific Depressive Disorder by the VA Physiatrist   and the meds they put me on and also including some therapist reports, should I include the therapy notes? is this all I need to submit at this time along with the PTSD App?

going to the post office in the morning  and mail it..with return receipt.

Any suggestions  anybody?

Thank you all in Advance

Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Do I just file the  intent to file claim for PTSD First?

and then wait for them to send me a letter as to what they want?

as for as evidence and records ect,,ect,? or do I send them my medical evidence pertains to my VA Diagnoses?

I have about 30 pages of the VA Notes to send  just about the PTSD..IS THAT TO MANY TO SEND THEM?

....Buck

Yes file the intent to file now, you can do that online by just starting the claim application and saving it.  it will generate it automatically (if within 2-3 working days you dont see one pop up when you check "works in process" then mail it or send a IRIS not stating you started a claim online and it never generated an intent to file.

As far as evidence goes all VA notes SHOULD and i say SHOULD be automatically viewable for the rater.

That being said my experience and opinion is that you should make your claim as barney style as possible.  Send in the exam notes that support.

1) your inservice stressor, that event or "thing" that happened to you that caused it, whatever that is that the psycho doctor noted

2) any diagnosis of PTSD

3) any exam notes that support and "check the boxes" of things that will be ratable.  check the PTSD DBQ for what these are.

I would also highlight those specific things in the exam notes to make it even more...dummy proof

Yes, mail ANYTHING TO THE VA  CERTIFIED MAIL with RETURN RECEIPT.

I am confused though, have you filed online already or are you filing by mail?  if you are filing by mail then just send the intent to file today, not the evidence.  intent to file saves your spot for retro.  wait until you get all the evidence in order and properly "barney styled" and then submit it via the mail along with your form 526 (claim application).  If filing online then upload the evidence and submit it there, send it usps certified and return receipt, fax it and hand deliver also if you have a choice.

HOW TO FILE FOR COMPENSATION.pdf

HOW TO SUBMIT EVIDENCE IN A VA CLAIM.pdf

Do I just file the  intent to file claim for PTSD First?

and then wait for them to send me a letter as to what they want?

as for as evidence and records ect,,ect,? or do I send them my medical evidence pertains to my VA Diagnoses?

I have about 30 pages of the VA Notes to send  just about the PTSD..IS THAT TO MANY TO SEND THEM?

....Buck

If you do it online you can do both at the same time.  Make the claim and at the end it will give you the option to upload any evidence you want and specify what type of evidence it is.

If you have only been treated at the VA and in service then as USMC said they SHOULD have access to everything however its best to spoon feed them and give them everything by the numbers.  I would suggest taking anything you have from the VA, private docs and your SMR and getting it scanned at a kinkos or whatever and onto a flash drive or cloud so you can not only mail hard but also upload any said documents immediately and it will allow you to see when they have been received and subsequently reviewed.

If you are seeking treatment at VA MH, and they are the Docs that did the Diagnoses, then do not need to file or upload any evidence, as it is already there thru the VA.

Just file a PTSD FDC online, on your MHV site. Your VA MH records are already on record, so don't worry about scanning & attaching to your FDC. With the New VA DSM V & PTSD exam guidelines I think your still going to have a C & P ordered by the Rating Dept.

Buck, did you say on a prior post, that at some time in the past you did get a PTSD DBQ from a VA  MH Clinician? If so, that, I would scan and attach to the claim filing.

You can always print a copy of your on-line FDC and mail it Cert/Return Rect as back-up. I've done about 6 on-line claims and never had a problem. As I recall, you get VA confirmation of receipt of your on-line filing right away. Just keep copies of everything, right.

Semper Fi

While i understand where Navy and Gastone are coming from I never ever trust the VA to look through my VA records with an eye for accuracy and trible checking the quadruple checks for evidence in my records.  I always print off the evidence from my record that pertains to my claim, highlight the portions i want them to really put an eyeball on. 

I look at it like this...

I provide copies and highlighted, if they would have skimmed over the evidence without mine, good on me, if they would have seen it anyways no harm no foul

If i trust them to do it and they do it, great if they dont then yay...DRO then BVA train.

The worst outcome for my claim will not come from them getting copies provided by me, but by them missing evidence, so theres no downside to doing so, but a posisble downside for not.  thats why i do.