VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Erectyle Dysfunction Rating 0% -Get Higher %?

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

I was earlier rated 0% for Hypertension and 0% for ED during the first part of my claim. Then last week after my Cardiac CP results (deferred claim) finally came in, I was finally rated 10% SC (low balled)  for Hypertensive Heart Disease which is a catch all for a lot of heart stuff? Anyway, can anyone tell me what it takes to get 10% of higher for Erectile Dysfunction?  I did get  SMC -K for loss of a creative organ so is that how VBA generally takes care of ED ratings? The other issue is that I was injured and in a Tank Accident which was service connected for my back which resulted in a spinal fusion/decompression surgery. However, I learned that  there's a scientific study that shows a high correlation to decompression surgery and ED. Also, I also take multiple HBP medicines to try and keep my HBP down...

Yup- ED is a 0% rating. Its a system not addressed in the ratings schedule so they shoehorned it in with a bunch of other stuff. SMC's are supposed to cover those situations, and 

-k is the one used for ED. 

Actually there is a possible rating under 7522, Erectile Dysfunction but requires "deformity and loss of erectile power"  you can search on the term and find several appeal references.  It rates at 20% if you qualify.

Folks:

Thanks, I was curious because I have seen Vets get 10% for ED and wondered what it took to get that rating instead of 0% which seems more common?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Here's a great BVA example awarding 20% for 7522 during 2015:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp14/Files3/1420519.txt

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually there is a possible rating under 7522, Erectile Dysfunction but requires "deformity and loss of erectile power"  you can search on the term and find several appeal references.  It rates at 20% if you qualify.

It's quite possible that SMC-K is of more benefit than 20%, assuming that there are other rated disabilities. If it became an either or situation, I would think that the VA would be, by law, obliged to use the most favorable to the veteran.  The % rating raises a question as to what constitutes "deformity", and what does not. One could say that ED automatically causes a deformity, since flaccidity under certain conditions causes an abnormal appearance. I fully realize that the VA's usual idea is different.