Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DAV Service Officer

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to the DAV office yesterday Ask  to File a PTSD Claim...all he did wa shave me to sign a POA or some form me allowing them to be my repersentive.

He put my name and social on the form 21-526ez and stated  I am fileing  for PTSD Compensation   had me to sign it  that was all

dated  and he said he will mail it to my RO...I ask him if that was the correct place to send it  and are we sending it in with out any information as to who diagnosed me or any medical evidence to support my claim...I said I was told I need to send the PTSD Claim to The Janesville Wi  VA Claim intake Center..he said  by send it to the RO it gets seen faster  I mention the claim centers digitized them on CD & sends them back to the RO he said so does the RO.. He also said it will take about a year for them to order all your records and after they get them in  usually 12 months   Then The VA will send me the thing I need to support my claim.

I wanted to submit my claim with some evidence With VA Progress Notes from myhealthvet from MH  but oh well?

What concerned me was he never put any thing down about my Diagnoses of PTSD down?

Anyway he sent it in to my RO here in Texas   Waco Tx

...my question is  

should I fire this DAV Service Officer   with over 40 years experience in VA Claims? This was  done on 10 -15-15

Anybody???

.............Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

You either have PTSD or not. The VA PTSD examiner will complete a forensic PTSD DBQ and that will determine the Rater's decision. You don't need to spend money on non VA PTSD Clinician Nexus letters.

Your already being paid at 100% SC rate, right? Your filing the PTSD claim with an eye towards a future SMC claim?

Did the DAV rep you for your previous claims, why the new POA?

You would be well served filing your own claims, regular or FDC, on your E-Ben site.

Semper Fi

Buck,

I signed POA rights to DAV, back in March of this year.  So far they have done...nada, zilch, nothing, no way, no how, zero to help me.  I specifically asked for help with filing two claims.  They told me I need to get a IMO first, then they would see what they could do. 

The one claim is for a secondary SCD and is currently waiting for C&P to be scheduled.  The other was for my back for increase, which I did wholly on my own,(thanks DAV) and was bumped from 10 to 40%.  I began this year at 40% and doubled up with out the DAV lifting one finger for me.

The only thing that happens is when I receive any correspondence from the VA, the DAV gets a copy as well.  The DAV has not initiated contact with me for anything.  They do respond if and when I contact them first.  I don't know what I expected them to do, really, but certainly I was expecting more than what they haven't done so far.

I sent my evidence package to my claims intake center in Newnan, GA.  From what I have gathered just by being a member here, is trust VSOs as far as you can throw them.  If you want you can make 2 copies of your package and send one to DAV and the other to the intake center.

So, in my humble opinion, send your evidence package directly to your claims intake center in Janesville.

Hopefully your C-file will come soon.  If it's been more than 30 days, send an inquiry via IRIS using the complaint option.  That may light some fire under your request.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

andy, i fired dav earlier this year. they had represented me since 1988. had a couple of really good service officers and a couple of really lousy. the last one i dealt with was worse than worthless!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Question

I received a letter today from my claims intake center (Janesville Wi)  for an intent to file''  they said they received  it on Oct 1st 2015  and told me about filling the ''COMPLETE'' 21-526ez  for my claim  because they didn't know what I was filing for.(understandable)

and the claims intake center has said they noted DAV was my representation (that was fast) for them to know I hired DAV ON 10-152015 that  at the time they wrote this letter  I never had DAV to help me? 

Well the DAV SO just filed the 21-526 on OCT 15-2015 and sent it to my RO and the intake center says to send all correspondence via the Claims intake center.

there in Janesville Wi  My claim was not type  just sloppy hand writing

I had another contention for my Dupytrens  Contraction   that the VAMC plastic surgery mess up and nothing they can do about it  but I have problems with that hand  and its been 9 month since the surgery and the therapy the plastic surgery Doc stated that I still have soreness in the right hand  but they could not do anything else.

so I was going to file a non SC claim for that along with my PTSD...that should be SC.

The DAV SO just files for the PTSD  And said were sending this claim to my RO it will be faster,  he said the Intake claims center will just forward my claim to my RO anyway...

Now do I have to go through the DAV To file another claim for my hand?  or file that  with PTSD Again?& Send it to my claims intake center

I wish he would have sent my PTSD Claim to my claims intake center   ..I figured he had over 40 years for elping veterans file claims and I was told he was real good representative...so go figure

I'm not even sure he mails it?  He just gave me a copy of it and his application making them my POA

no evidence was submitted or a VA Diagnose for PTSD  or Unspecific Depression Disorders  and I don't know which one the VA will look at?

I have all that in my VA Notes...its been almost 6 months since I  requested my SMR's and about 5 months for my C-file...so I' was waiting on them to come in to submit more evidence.

I feel my claim is already screwed up.

What should I do? cancel all claims and fire the DAV and resubmit? my PTSD Claim along with my hand claim? and a few of those VA Notes?

Any help is greatly appreciated

..............Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

yes I have PTSD but I don't have a ebenefits account  just my heathy vet account    I can't get a pass word for the benefits account to pass?

I got tired of trying   even using the 9 letters upper and lower case letters I tried 100x and got error every damn time so I   and said F### it

My reason for hiring the DAV.  To help me!

maybe that was a big Mistake?

..........Buck

I can only give you my experience with the DAV during my claim process (still in gathering of evidence after three September C&Ps). After lurking here for a few months I gathered all my evidence for my claims, organized it and made an appointment with my DAV rep in Los Angeles. He went over my submissions and his only comment was that I made his job easier. I asked if he had any suggestions for changes or additions. Nope. He submitted it all for me the same day and a few days later all the documents showed up in ebennies. I had photos, a DBQ from an outside Doctor, and my entrance and exit physical for hearing and scars. and my mos for tinnitus. I also copied my PTSD diagnosis from a VA doc.

It was my responsibility to get the evidence and organize it. I expected the DAV rep to look it over and suggest changes/additions and make sure that all the evidence was submitted in a timely manner. If your rep at the very least can't can't do that for you, then I suggest you find a rep that will do so.

We'll see whether the DAV and I made the right moves before the year is up.

Best of luck to you!