Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

So, you must know the full name, date of dead/wounded

Rate this question

Mike_S

Question

Or it is not PTSD.

I never knew them when I picked up their bodies and put them in body bags. I never knew the names of the wounded we picked up in a slick to take them to an LZ with medical care. So, I can't possibly have PTSD. I put it all behind me as something normal.

I only knew nicknames and a few last names of the people I served with so of course I can't have any PTSD issues when they died.

There are issues not related to dead or wounded ... comrades, not all U.S. but that don't count.

I hate my country.

If you want to you can also submit FOIA request for your specific unit during your deployment times.  It will take months and months to finally get sent to you and names will be redacted, etc however the mission information should be there and that can be used as evidence allthough i dont think you will need it.  Consider contacting former crewmembers/officers that were there with you or your CO and have them sign and write some sworn declarations to the effect of you were there and we did this mission and roughly X number of wounded/dead were medevac'd on our choppers during that time.

I really dont think you will need all that, your records should show who you deployed with and your MOS should also place you withing the realm of beleivability within the VA for having witnessed that.  Like i said i didnt really submit names for mine and i had no issues.  keep us updated with more questions and how your claim rolls out.

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

Thanks All

I will use a name of someone I went through Basic Training with. We were all drafted and our wives would get together. It's the only full name I know and I have a rubbing of his name on the wall that I keep with a photo I have of him. For years I used that to represent all of the others that I only had nicknames, first names or no name at all. I was not stationed with him in RVN but we were both in the 101st near the DMZ.

However, stressful event #1 will be my father. I came home on emergency leave because he was dying. I arrived home in just over 24 hours to see him alive and talk to him. I left, changed clothes and was called back to the hospital 2 hours later. He had died and obviously in great pain with his body half rising from the bed and a look all too familiar on his face. Mom made the nurses wait until i returned to see him. I looked around the room and when the nurse asked what I was looking for, I said, "a body bag". She said we will take care of the rest. I felt nothing and I still don't when anybody dies. To me it is normal yet I know it's not.

Input here has been helpful and fast.

I will keep you posted and try to help in other areas with useful content.

Mike,

If you file an FDC online, the form will go through without any names of the dead soldiers. They want you to provide as much detail as you can, but not all fields are required.  There are many situations where a person can suffer trauma without knowing any details about the fallen or even seeing death.You could explain in your statement that you know the nicknames, and put those in the narrative. I would recommend adding what you wrote about your father's death along with the other details you remember. That is a powerful memory, and it tells the reader a lot more than you probably realize. I am sorry for your pain and your loss, and I hope you are able to get the help you need. 

There is a catch- if you are claiming PTSD due to combat and have a combat badge, DD 214 shows a deployment to hazard zone, and such.. then you can skip right through all of these questions on eBenefits, if filing online.  If filing by paper, you do not need to submit a VA Form 21-0781 if you meet the above criteria.  Some veterans just claim PTSD and do not specify whether or not it was related to combat, which can cause the VA to request the specific information on a 21-0781 or 21-0781a.

Here is the manual that the VA follows in regard to PTSD claims:

M21-1, Part IV, Subpart ii, Chapter 1, Section D - Claims for Service Connection for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

• HadIt.com Elder

KAYLA I COULDN'T GET YOUR LINK TO WORK?

If you have a combat ribbon on your DD 214 I don't think you need to prove these stressor's

They should take your word for it, This is the first I ever heard we need there names?

I'm not sure which conflict you were at  but in Vietnam I believe all of South Vietnam was consider a hostile area

from South of Saigon all the way up North to Ouang Tre Province Area

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!