Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

RETRO

Rate this question

Slick

Question

received decision June 2015, effective date of claim 16 Jan 2015.  Spoke to DFAS and they processed and sent to VA in August.

Multiple calls to VA get same answer- "in-work."

just sent "inquiry" via ISIS or whatever it's called.

Some would say it's money in the bank, just wait- but it's not my bank so what's normal time from decision to receiving retro- if their is a normal?

You do have your Direct Deposit Bank/CU account set up to notify you Txt/Email regarding ALL transactions, right?

Semper Fi

Buck: My IU DRO Award was Fri 06/29/2014, Big A$$ Retro Deposit Txt from Bank was on my phone, 7;30am 07/23/14.  3 weeks, not bad!

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone

We didn't know we had retro in the Bank   even after we recived the award letter  we were thinking  well now another moth or two for the retro to arrive..so we kept eating Bologna sandwiches & beans &taters  for another month  then the wife looked at our Bank statement  and walla...what a happy time that was...come to find out the retro had been in the Bank before we had the award letter..the DRO had Expedited everything.:smile:

Live and Learn

...............................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I think if the Retro is a large amount 25,000.00 and over it does take three signature's and it takes them a while for  doing that but for smaller retros it should be in your Bank Account before your letter arrives.

Agreed

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

The deposit always take longer than it should.  Especially when the Veteran has been and is in need.  It will show in due time.

My first retro check came as a shock.  I actually received the deposit before I even received my decision.  About a few days later the white envelope came with the details of the decision.

The higher the amount of retro the more hands or rather signatures it takes to process.  Hang in there.  It won't be long.  Just make sure your account numbers and all financial information is correct and going to the right account.  

I realize that for some old school is more comfortable than going on-line.  I don't know which bank you utilize but most have online access of some sort.  Even text options that inform you of deposits.  Might be worth a look.

JMO

In any case Slick congrats on the win.  Take it easy bud and again CONGRATS!

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

Big Country,

My dates were very similar.  I received my service connection decision in October and was paid the regular monthly payment on November 1st.  My effective date for everything is 1 June 2015 (My date of retirement).  I actually filed in Jan 2015, but of course the date becomes the retirement date.  I received my retro pay about a week ago, however, by my calculation, they owed me for June-September yet I only received 3 months worth.  I got the statement a few days later showing they paid Jul, Aug, and Sept.

I spent a week trying to get through to the VA about the month they shorted me, finally scheduling a callback after hours.  When the lady from the VA called, she kept talking out of both sides of her mouth.  (Long story)  Bottom line, she said they do not owe the missing month's payment.

So, to all you HadIt vets, does the VA need to pay us to our effective date, which is shown in our e-Benefits, or can they just decide to not pay us for the first month (like they're trying to tell me)?

Thanks in advance!

Punisher,

It may be that since the date of the claim was in the month of June, they then call that month your waiting period.  Or what ever they may call it, either way, they only pay whole months, and since your claim was received in the month of June(albeit the 1st), they call a technicality and get a freebie.

Don't make it suck any less than it does.  I'm sure the VA will have some techno jargon laden answer for you. 

Semper Fi.

Andyman