Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tomorrow is my PTSD C& P NERVOUS!

Rate this question

pumibel

Question

Hi everyone! I have not been in here for a while since I have started some classes. I bet I have some catching up to do! Last week I received a phone call from VES to schedule all of my exams ASAP, so tomorrow is my PTSD exam. I have been stressing about it for the past few days, but I know that cannot help. Next week I have to see the dentist on the 25th, a regular general medical doctor on the 27th, and on the 29th I have a bunch of X-rays and an echo-cardiogram scheduled. 

The VA had sent me a letter, dated for the 24th of December 2015, stating that they could not settle my case under the FDC program because they needed to know where all of my aches and pains were located. I was not surprised that they were going to remove my claim from the FDC, but the reasoning was suspect. I had provided all of the pain locations on my claim, and when I go to eBennies and look at my pending claim, I can see all of the places listed. Today I received another VA letter stating that the Dec letter was an error, and that all of my appointments would be scheduled very soon, so my claim would stay in the FDC program after all. yay!

I still do not know where my STRs are! The agencies from which I have requested my records (except for my local VA records) have all sent me letters stating that they do not have them. Argh!

I hope everyone here has had a pleasant holiday season and a good start for the new year!

EDIT: I was going to ask a few questions, and I totally forgot! Here are my most pressing ones:

Should I bring notes with me?

What do they do during the PTSD C&P? I have only answered some survey questions in the past and didn't discuss the actual event. I am very anxious about that!

Edited by pumibel
Forgot to ask my questions!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations Pumibel on your win! And good luck on your remaining claims!

Thanks Flores97!  I am rooting for you as well! Are there any new pain meds that can help you? NSAIDS tore my mom's stomach up really badly, and that is why she has to take opiates now. I am still able to take naproxen.

I'm not sure Pumibel, I've heard great things about celebrex, I'm going to ask my PCP about it. I'm sorry about your moms situation, ive been on nsaids daily for about seven or so years, so far ibuprofen 800 is the only thing that truly helps, narcotics just make me feel sick and groggy. 

pumibel

My advice is to just be yourself, do your homework and research so that you can learn about to somewhat expect at the exams? Also, It's always helpful to consult with others  whom has been thru the process already and listen to their experiences. Remember, every case and situation is different so please keep that in mind as the final outcome of your claim is considered. The hardest thing is the "unknown" so the more you get prepared, the more comfortable you will be during the interviews and exams. Also, be sure not to hold back and if you are going to share these experiences (sometimes maybe painful) also keep in mind that your comments  will be written down for others to see and evaluate for your case. I just went thru the process to get Sc'd for TBI and it was pretty tough and long but it worked out in my favor.  It was very hard for me to share with physiatrists and psychologists and was my first time doing so.  

Also, there's what I call, the "Luck of the Draw". What I mean by that is that I've had CP exams where the doctors were kind, understanding and "got it", resulting in a good claim contention outcome.  Also,  I've had a couple others that did not even make eye contact with me and used a "cookie cutter" approach to their CP Exams. So, like in the movie 'Forest Gump", "you never know what your going to get". So, if it starts out  to be tense at first  during the CP exam , keep your composure, stay positive,  just be yourself, especially take your time and pause to think about the questions before you answer them to the doctor. Most of the CP Exams are based upon a particular DBQ or medical;script that the doctor has to follow and the doctors mainly follow that the best they can. Frankly, if you've got a good service connection anyway in your records  for  PTSD, then you'll probably be OK? Otherwise, you'll need to build a solid case with lay evidence from others that observed you or your situation in service that you can pull together.  I've heard that one of the traps that some doctors use is when they first ask you, "how are you doing", and if you are just courteous, polite and say "great or fine"  that may set the tone for the CP  that maybe you don't have PTSD at or it's minimal at best? Many respond with something like, "I'm hear for a reason or something is wrong in my life now"..  Of course, there's no right or wrong answer to this but you may want to consider what you would say for your particular situation when you first meet the doctor.  But if you have PTSD, you need to convey how that has affected your life, family, relations and especially your ability to function at work. 

Overall, my personal experience has been that most of the CP Examiners Rating folks are generally good folks and it's mainly about conveying "your PTSD  story" to the best of your abilities and  be very honest with your responses.

Anyway, Godspeed and Good luck during your exams...Rootbeer22

pumibel, congrats on the win.  Regarding the arthritis, if it's osteoarthritis it seems as though any issues that cause undue wear could be connected as secondary, rheumatoid arthritis would probably be more difficult with no records in-service.