Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Still no decision letter.

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Not sure what to say, I called the benefits counselor at my local VAMC.  I told him that I had some claims that were closed on January 23rd, according to my ebenefits account.  I said today is February 23rd, and I still haven't received a decision letter explaining why my claims were denied.

Now, I emailed Mr. McDonald on Jan 22nd with questions about 2 of the claims that were denied with out exams, even though I submitted evidence from my SMR.  Guess what, no reply from him or his office.

I sent an inquiry via IRIS regarding same and lack of decision letter.  That was on Feb 2nd.  Only response was the automated 5 business days to reply response.  I sent a complaint via IRIS on Feb. 16th in regards to no decision letter being received, tho my ebenefits account states decision letter sent. 

I explained to benefits counselor that I called Peggy several times on several different days, and could not get through each time.  I told him that I contacted the VA via the IRIS and hadn't heard anything there either.  So he looked me up and saw that a claim filed in August of 15 was closed/denied on January 23rd, 16.  I said yes, and I haven't received my decision letter.  He said he will get it out in today's mail.

Will be mentioning all this to my VA MH therapist when I see him again on the 29th of this month.

Andyman;

Contact your local congressman's office!  I did this late January complaining that the VA had not provided my C-file and I had been requesting it for over a 1-1/2. I stressed I needed it for my DRO hearing (which is today)!!  I asked him as my congressman to step in and low and behold his office did.  I had a FOIA request from his office show up on my open claims and I got my C-File on Tuesday....TWO days before my DRO hearing.

I would try your local congressman's office!

Good luck!

US Navy Desert Storm Veteran
Proudly served my Country!!! :biggrin:

9 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

No more verifiable than "The VA is out to get me......." 

Exactly!  Point made, thank you.  You do know that paranoia is a huge part of many mental issues, PTSD in particular?  But, that's cool, just compound another Vets issues bc you have a job at the VA.  You don't have to support him, you just have to 'not type'.  We all have assholes, that doesn't mean we all need to get ours bleached and display them to the world.  What was that old adage..."if you don't have anything good to say..."

Edited by TALON II FE

Point made indeed. I don't work for the VA.

I just get tired of all the negativity here all the time. There is great help to be had here, but many long term posters carry over baggage from 20 yrs ago when the VA was still on paper. A lot of this automation and technical stuff online with the VA is supposed to help you, and a lot of the time it does. I get the feeling that some veterans have an idea that the VA will hold their hand while they file claims. Its not so. Its just like your paperwork in service- if you want to make sure it gets done then take some initiative and follow through. 

*out*

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

brokensoldier,

I certainly appreciate your willingness to share your perception of Hadit and it's members.  I have a different viewpoint however. 

I don't see the site as negative.  I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and this site allows opinions to be expressed.  I have visited other sites on the web that are supposed to be providing help to veterans and my opinion is that many of the members use those sites as means to show how much they think they know/express their opinion and in doing so they simply shut people down.  Often times you can read responses that are akin to "Hey Dummy, hire a VSO and all with be right in the world (and your claim)". I find many of the responses in these other forums to be offensive and belittling. 

I don't view Hadit as that type of forum, people are welcome to ask questions or even vent if they need to, and those that have experience provide ideas, suggestions, and support.  I understand that you feel that the VA may be presented unfairly through these discussions and the occasional venting.  I believe we can all agree that the VA is tasked with an enormous responsibility and that there are some great, even fantastic, VA employees.  At the same time I think we need to acknowledge that there are many veterans that have been treated poorly.  Any doubt of that point can be easily dispelled by spending some time reading through decisions at:

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp

Green

Green

I dont deny any of what you wrote, or that the VA is overtasked. Consider it an effect of being a discretionary item in the budget for the last however many years. 

as for my "opinion on Hadit members" it was not an observation of members specifically, but tone overall. There are many threads in the General area for questions and answers that devolve off the rails into "the VA screwed me......" rather than helping the veteran that asked a question. I just feel that the social chat area is more appropriate for that discourse. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

I totally agree with Green! and I am eventually going to end up hiring an Attorney to handle my claim, whereas, it is far too complicated and stressful for me to handle on my own.  I am already approved at 60% for my pulmonary disease and that is for Asthma.  But that claim does not end there.  Because when I was discharged in 1984 I had already been diagnosed with Asthma, COPD and Restrictive Lung Disease.

When I joined the Navy in 1980 there was nothing wrong with my lungs.  I began having problems breathing when I was in apprentice training in Florida! And believe me when I tell you those two weeks of Apprentice training were the scariest two weeks of my life. Every night I was taken to the ER because I couldn't breath.  I would wake up wheezing and gasping for air!!! The Ambulance would arrive they would slap an O2 mask on me and hit me with an Epi shot and fly to the ER. There I would get another Epi shot and breathing treatments.   This would totally freak me out.  Every night I would spend at least two hours in the ER then go back to the Barracks all hyped up on the Asthma medication!  I finally graduated and went to my first command.  

When I got there I was offered a medical discharge and refused it.  I refused it because I didn't join the Navy only to be discharge and sent home.  I wanted to be a hospital corpsman and there was NO WAY I was going to let them discharge me after going through that hellish experience at Apprentice training.  And I felt that it was just the building and the AC, because I had never had a problem with breathing so I kind of blew it off.  I was given a PT waiver for the annual PT testing and that was that.

I never really thought too much about it.  And even when I went to Great Lakes I thought it was the extreme cold that kept causing me problems.  I had Pneumonia several times while stationed there and the Doctors said that was what damaged my lungs.  And by the time I turned 23 I was diagnosed with Restrictive Lung Disease and shortly after that COPD.  I really didn't take any of these diagnoses that serious simply because I was so young and felt that the only people who really suffer from those diseases are Old People.  After I was discharged I think one of my Doctors may have told me to put a claim into the VA.  And I think I did, but I think it must have been rejected or denied.  And I must have just thought "Oh Well!"     

SO that is all water over the bridge until it comes to the here and now!!!  I have been requesting a copy of ALL my records for sometime now.  My Congressman's office has also been asking for a copy of all my records for some time now.  His office is now starting to get a little pissed that they are having a problem with this request!!! Umm gee is it the same problem I have been having?  Now I know the VA has a copy of my Service Medical Records and I have requested a copy from them so why the delay?  Why not just give me a copy?  I just don't understand what the big deal is.  I do understand there are THOUSANDS of other veterans who have also requested copies of their records.  But don't they have enough people working at the VA to make those copies?  

I can certainly understand that there may not be enough personnel employed in Saint Louise where a good percentage of Military records have been stored for years.  And it may take them a long time to go through all those archived Service records and pull the exact record and then do what they need to do to get that record to the service member.  I mean that must really be one hell of a job.  But the VA already has a copy of my Service Medical Record as they have referred to it on several occasions after I have had a C&P exam.  In fact I believe they also have a full copy of my entire Service Record because they have referred to having that also. And I did ask for a complete copy of ever bit of information they had in their files that contained any reference to me or my service in the Navy or Marines.  (got a copy of a letter off the Federal Right to Information site and sent it along with the official request form and a copy of my license and SSI Card which I also had notarized for the signature.)    Anyway as I posted in a previous post (that sounds like an Oxymoron, LMFAO)  I am just playing the hurry up and wait game!!! RIGHT!!! 

So once I received all that I have requested, I will again contact the Attorney I had previously spoke to and just turn everything over to her and let her handle it!!!     SO I won't really give up!!! I just sometimes hate dealing with some of the individuals that I personally have come in contact with that work for the VA.   There have been a few that have been nice, they simply do their job and thanks so very much.  I do appreciate it and have told those individuals that too! 

There is just one more thing I must comment on.  My father was a US Marine.  He served in Korea.  He was injured over there when a Tank blew up.  His injuries were to his back, his legs, his hearing and some were internal.  He also suffered what was then called battle fatigue now known as Combat PTSD.  Back then there was no claim for his Mental Illness and we as his family suffered through his Mental Illness we also suffered through his battle with the VA for every percentage he was allowed.  He wasn't given 100% until I was in the Navy.  I remember this, because one of my sister wrote to me and told me how happy he was about it!!!!   When I became disabled in 1997 I never considered filing with the VA mostly because I remember what my father went through and thought there was no way I was ever going to put my family though that!!!  And then about a year ago a VSO told me I really should put a claim in.  That the VA had changed.   And they have changed!!! They have changed a LOT from the days when my father began his battle with them!!!   

I know that at times I may write that it seems fruitless and that I feel like I am battling the Evil Empire but I know that the current VA system has CHANGED and is NOTHING like the way it was when my father dealt with them.  And all I can say is THANK YOU to all those who cared enough to make sure that CHANGE did come about to this part of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.  And though more can be done  I for one am thankful for the changes that have come about.  

Can you tell I am feeling better today!!!! :rolleyes: