Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Starting a new claim

Rate this question

Machete

Question

Hi everyone, first off thank you for having such a great site. I'm new here and I've been reading around on here and just wanted to know that I'm on the right track. I already have a 60% rating, 50% for sleep apnea and 10% for tinnitus. I was awarded this rating in 2009 right after I got out. I was an infantry squad leader with the 101st and I deployed to Iraq twice, Kosovo and Bosnia. After I got out I started struggling with what I now know is ptsd. Last month after years of fighting with my wife about getting help I went to the VA and asked to see someone to get help. I went in for my appointment with a psychiatrist and he diagnosed me with ptsd and gave me meds, he also pointed me to a local vet center to see a psychologist. I've been going weekly for one on one counseling and taking my meds. I never went in with the intention of filling a claim, just to get help. But at the vet center they have helped me acknowledged that I have issues and I need real help. They are going to have me sit down with a vet rep to help me file a ptsd claim, I haven't worked in awhile because of my issues and really need the financial help. The vet center says that because of all my combat time, my CIB, and the problems the doctor and the vet center see I have, I shouldn't have much problems with my claim. Is there anything I should be doing to be proactive. They said they want to wait until May to file the claim to have more documentation. Thanks guys

• HadIt.com Elder

Even tho a CIB helps with the stressor's  VA still requires evidence that caused the trauma, presumptive of evidence requires a place and time of the event.

Having a CIB on DD 214 don't prove a trauma event happen, it just proves you were in a infantry unit, unless  the veteran HAS MENTION IN HIS LAY STATEMENT as to what took place and where and when it happen, by supporting records of evidence & buddy statements. it should be on the dd-214

If a veteran has a CIB and claims PTSD then he still needs to show as of a rational trauma event happen...even if its just to prove he was in enemy hostile  territory   or in fear of his life.

Having a CIB don't mean you had a trauma event happen  it just means you were in infantry, but it does help with not having to prove your stressor as opposed to a veteran that don't have one.

I know a lot will disagree but if a veteran just has a CIB and no rational to prove a truma event happen to him/her   his claim will more than likey be denied.

jmo.

.............Buck

Here is how to calculate how much it will take you to wait until May to file.  Let's assume, since you are not working, you get rated at 100%  either PTSD or IU or whatever.  

Lets further assume you wait "one" month.  

A 60% married Vet is about 1059, where a 100% Vet is 3068.  The difference for one month is 2009 dollars. 

So, does your VSO have an extra 2 grand to give you to wait?

I dont know about you, but an extra 2000 dollars would come in very, very, very handy right now.  

While, of course you wont get that extra 2 grand for months, or even years, do you anticipate in another 6 months to a year that you wont be needing an extra 2,000?  

My recommendation is you file NOW, and make sure that intent to file ARRIVES at your VA BEFORE May 1.  

Remember, your payment will always be the first day of the month FOLLOWING the day that VA receives your claim.  Get the documentation later, and save the 2000.  

If you have so much money you dont know what to do with it all, then donate it to Tbird or hadit if you can not possibly spend that extra 2000.00.  You can always ask your VSO if he will pay you the 2000 you lose by waiting.  

Edited by broncovet

hahahaha good post Broncovet thanks everyone. I feel what your saying bro. i will go see the VSO and file the ITF. i appreciate everyones help and will post on here my progress. i also have awards for actions i took under fire so that should help. thanks everyone and thank you for running this site and answering everyones questions. 

I agree with Bronco, Buck and Talon, Machete, I see absolutely no reason for you to wait, you already have some SC disabilities, which means VA has (or should have haha), most of your strs and DD 214, you were a combat veteran, and you have a CIB as well as awards. At minimum, do an Intent to File on ebenefits. If your MH doctor is vet friendly, I would ask the doc to fill out a PTSD dbq (disability benefits questionnaire), and submit your ptsd claim as a Fully Developed Claim with all supporting evidence, treatments, doctors statements and so forth. Good Luck!

Edited by flores97
typo