VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about NOD wait time after applying.

Rate this question

Wayne TX

Question

When you file a NOD how long does it generally take on the average to hear back from a DRO?. I filed a NOD form last week with Waco, TX. Regional Office and also asked for a DRO Hearing right up front to get that part out of the way without further delays asking me what kind of DRO I wanted...  Never done a NOD before so any input on average time frame of initial response is helpful.  Just curious. Wayne.

Edited by Wayne TX

• HadIt.com Elder

II will add this  if your homeless and have or show good reason you need your claim adjudicated  for hardship  they are suppose to speed up/ Expedite   your claim within 30 days.  other than that  they will take there time...

The process of changing over to the digitized world is what is slowing down all the claims now...hopefully next year the change over will be done.

Buck;

im sorry but inhale to disagree with you regarding 'if the DRO says he will get back to you in 60 days that's not good'. Several factors play out in a DRO hearing. Not all DRO's are the same. My case in point. I had a 'stand in' DRO. WACO told me after speaking to my DAV rep that they are back logged regarding getting a decision. Some hearings go well and they are decided right away. I know for a fact after my hearing my case basically went and sat on a desk awaiting a DRO to review it. 

My DAV rep spoke to the DRO who held my hearing and they indicated they are looking at 6-12 months for a decision.

i know many years ago you had a quick turn around but not the case for all. 

Wayne;

unfortunatley you have to go through the process Lima most of us that had a lousy rater. My rater never looked at the evidence. He took this one examiner's two sentence note stating my injuries were not S/C. That foot never even looked at me. This was a medical opinion!  I have the evidence and I have more evidence as well. I got a lot of advice on this site. I chose an informal hearing BTW.  

YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN PATIENCE WITH THIS PROCESS!!!

i know you know you should have been rated and most of us are or have been in the same boat  

I've been waiting since the day I filed back in November 2014  I did inquire after one year like I stated in my earlier response to you  

best of luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe so Navy4life &I agree every case is different but plays out with the same format (so-to-speak)  trying to get a decision/ rather a win or a denial...of course we all hope for a win.

When a Veteran takes the evidence to a Hearing  that is clear cut &'' IF THE DRO READS IT'' & Listens, Then no reason for a denial,

A DRO has the Authorization to make a decision and expedite the claim then and there.

Also a veteran can have a good Idea how the DRO Hearing went before he/she leaves the Hearing,as to rather or not it was a favorable hearing the repore (so to speak)   you have with the DRO and how the hearing went....the veteran is usually contacted within a 30 days time frame on a good favorable Hearing.

After your off the Record  the DRO usually lets you know what the decision is or if its going to be in your favor, if he don't do that and says I'll get back to you within 60 days...that to me means he can't decide your claim and is being look at by his peers or  in the upper courts  or if your 60 days has elapse and no word  they probably going to remand it to the BVA.

Unfortunately things do get lost in space at the VA...When this happens the only advise I can't think of is to call them 2 or 3 times a week and bug the heck out of them.

Member Gastone has experience with the DRO Maybe he can chime in if you don't believe me.

Anything that gets in the way of a decision (stand in DRO Unexperienced )is a bad luck of the draw in my opinion... and the DRO can't decide just jams up the whole process, in your case another newbe DRO took your case and he/she could not decide your claim then and there...so you wait for a decision?

The standard now days with the VA.

No one can give a time as to how long it takes for  them to come to a decision and why they don't get back to the veteran giving an explanation .

So we wait.

jmo

.............Buck

Edited by Buck52

Buck;

It isn't whether or not I believe you, it's the fact that you are stating that if you present good evidence that the DRO should and would decide right then and there.  That isn't always the case.  As I stated, my experience with the DRO I had was a bit different.  Not all DRO's are going to decide right then and there.  In fact most won't because they want to review the file and then take their time and decided.  The standing phrase nowadays is "60 days for a decision" but that is not true!  The DRO's are simply back logged on all cases from start to finish.

Some Vet's get lucky, like yourself and are informed at the hearing while others, like myself are not.  Maybe had my original DRO been present I might not be waiting but I can say that I am pretty confident I will be victorious with my DRO hearing.  My evidence was rock solid.

My DRO was not a newbie - but rather standing in for the DRO I was suppose to have.  My DAV rep called over to the DRO that heard my case and he indicated he hasn't even looked at my case since the hearing.  They are so back logged it's ridiculous.

I agree that after the DRO hearing, the Veteran should be entitled to no more than 60 days but it's just not the case.