Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

National Personnel Records Center

Rate this question

gs106

Question

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a response from the National Personnel Records Center?  I requested morning reports from my unit in Vietnam referencing a firefight during mini-TET in May 1968 (if any exist).  I sent the request along with a check on 20 April 2016.  The check cleared the bank about two weeks ago but haven't received anything from them. 

• HadIt.com Elder

gs106

Not sure what your referring to about a check?

I requested my records from NPRC St Louis  SF-180 and it was free, even when they called me & ask me what all I needed?the clerk sent me some more...they sent them in a brown package , I think I had about 20 pieces of paper....but they never charge me or sent me a Bill...I think the first time around  its all for free  even postage.

now if it takes boxes to send your records they may charge? idk?

I just ask for specific records  although I didn't know the form Numbers!

This is what is on their website Buck.  I sent them a check for $8.30 as an initial payment.

SEARCH FEES: The NPRC may assess a fee for non-archival records, depending on the number of searches required. If that is the case, payment is required before the searches are undertaken. Fees are assessed for our time spent locating the records (at the rate of $13.25 per hour) and for any copies that are made (first 6 pages, $3.50; each additional page, $0.10), with a minimum charge of $8.30. A deposit of $8.30 is required before we begin the search. You will be billed for any additional costs. All remittances should be made payable to the National Personnel Records Center.

Hey guy do not pay for nada.  There is an Air Force book Air Defense in the Republic of Vietnam and if you go to the internet you can find it by Roger P Fox and it has all the air bases and how many rockets and mortars they took and how much damage there was.  Binh Hoa is there and so is Saigon.  If you are looking for stressors this is an excellent publication I have used it over and over for various claims.  It is dated 1961-1973.  I can not tell you how important of a document this is. Q

A firefight Re: TET should have produced an After Action Report and it might be found here:

http://www.paperlessarchives.com/vietnamafteraction.html

We waited almost a year on my husbands file and according to them when we called it could take up to three years. Since I had sent them the request cerified mail and a Privacy Act Request originallym I sent a 2nd request certified just prior to the 1 year mark. When they failed to answer I sent a final request through the Office of the General Counsel and got it in less than a week later, Know they are busy, and no doubt a thankless job, but veterans are waitiing for help, and must have their documents.