Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD diagnosis

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So two years ago the VA diagnosed me with major depressive disorder with anxiety distress. Not service connected but fast forward to 2016 and I've won my appeal with my service connection for my TBI so now they say that along with my TBI my recent deployment was a stresser. So having theses two stressors will that take the diagnosis and combine it my TBI to say it is PTSD? Since my last exam said I had no TBI or stressors.

On August 10, 2016 at 6:56 AM, Buck52 said:

You have a TBI dx so now you need a Qualified Dr to state in his pro opinion he has read your records  medical and its likely as not that your TBI has caused or aggravated PTSD  , you could use combat stressors but being you already have the TBI  I'd file secondary to PTSD (Unless you already have a rating for PTSD?)

if not

You need to get VA to dx you with PTSD DSM 5...AND If your symptoms are strong enough  you could get a 100%rating with your TBI Rating you possible could get SMC's

Note : Above statement:

Just my opinion and not to be used as legal advice!   However  for options I would recommend a Well  Experienced VA  Attorney or Person well versed  & certified in VA Law.

........................Buck

My PTSD claim the doctor said I was dsm5 PTSD service connected now I am waiting for a rater to be assigned my claim. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that!

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:58 AM, Buck52 said:

Just my opinion

They should take  the DX of the TBI & Also diagnose PTSD & rate you with PTSD   it could possibly be a CUE if they don't.

jmo

.....................Buck

They intertwined them and said TBI which was 70 % is now still at 70% but with PTSD service connection because the doctor couldn't speculate to know which was with from my TBI or PTSD.

Edited by jfrei

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm not sure how they diferenciate  between the two?  TBI Is caused from physical trauma to the head  as where  PTSD is tarmua from mental Issiues/stressors , so if the systoms are the same as PTSD cause or Aggervated by  TBI....Then PTSD should be diagnosed...the VA wil low ball a veteran on this other  not so much TBI but the mental part of it and use MDD/Depression   which usually has a lower rating

but they can't give you a rating for both.  its either one or the other.

Unless they rate the TBI as chronic  then  that may carry a 100% rating..I'm not sure?

jmo

...............Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I am thinking that TBI is actual injury to the brain.  PTSD is an emotional reaction to traumatic stress.   These are two very different things.  I would hope you could get them rated separately.   For example, a vet has brain cancer and it started in service.  He also has PTSD from combat.   One of these things is 100% physical and one is not physical as in the brain is not damaged as far as anyone besides the VA knows.  I think you should be able with competent medical to get possible 100% for both depending on severity of symptoms. If your skull was caved in my blast this is not PTSD.  I think you want to keep these things separate as far as rating.   The VA should not throw it all into one bag and come up with one rating.   This seems obvious to my nonprofessional medical opinion which is not worth anything to the VA.  Any decent neurologist and/or psychiatrist would probably agree outside the VA compensation system.   There was a PTSD vet here years ago who actually lost part of his skull from a blast.  He got six figure retro for this along with 100% rating and 100% for PTSD and agent orange cancer.  I don't know if he is still around ,but Berta might remember.  She is a claims genius IMO.   I would take her word to the bank.