VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need advice for first time PTSD claim

Rate this question

reddevil04

Question

I need some advice on a claim I plan to submit. A little background on me. I spent 4 years active with the 82ND ABN DIV as an 11B. Went to Iraq twice, got out and went guard, went to AFG with them. I registered with the VA, haven't sought treatment at all. I did file an intent to file FEB 2016, and I requested my records from archives. Should I start treatment at the VA or just file? I've been getting conflicting info about being diagnosed at the C&P exam. Is that true? What is my best course of action? Any info would be greatly appreciated

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to get a diagnosis of PTSD from the VA either by getting treatment at the VA or at the C&P exam.  I think I would seek treatment for PTSD at the VA.   Let the VA come up with your diagnosis. Don't go to them saying I want to be treated for PTSD.  Just say you want mental health help and let them diagnose you.  Then when you go for C&P exam you have VA behind you saying  "Yes, we diagnosed this vet with PTSD and he is in treatment with us".   That would be my advice.   To trust yourself to a C&P exam only is really rolling the dice.  You never know what those dummies might come up with to screw you out of compensation.  Your stressor is conceded because I assume you have CIB?

If you haven't already done so, START an On-Line PTSD FDC (Fully Developed Claim) application today, just don't hit the SUBMIT button, just yet. By starting on On-Line app, you establish your File Date for Retro purposes & have up to 12 mos to submit the claim.

The only PTSD DX that you need concern yourself with, is the VA PTSD Examiner's. Don't spend any time or $$ waiting on another PTSD DX before filing your FDC.

The only PTSD DX I ever got (2010), was from the VA C & P Psychiatrist using DSM IV. As a matter of fact, that's the only time I've ever seen a VA Psychiatrist. Group sessions were headed by a VA PTSD Social Worker and on rare occasion, a couple Psychologists PhD would set in.

File an on-line request for your complete MSR, ask for everything. I don't recall it taking very long to arrive.

Get into VA PTSD Group Therapy program, use to start with a VA PCP Questionnaire followed by a MH Dept Questionnaire, depending on your symptom score you'd be offered a treatment option of seeing a Staff Psychiatrist or Group Therapy, sometimes both. I did the Group for 21/2 yrs, it really does help.

Semper Fi

On 9/16/2016 at 4:00 PM, john999 said:

So i shouldn't worry about being diagnosed by the VA prior to claiming? I already requested my records about a week ago. Once the claim is submitted, how long does it take to get a C&P exam?

Edited by reddevil04
Error

• HadIt.com Elder

reddevil04

The FDC -I.T.F.  (Intent to File)claim is good for a year  it gives you time to prepare your claim and gather evidence, and helps you get a EED( Early Effective Date)  As Gastone mention the FDC this is why.

What I did  before I applied for PTSD Claim I Requested my military Service Records &C-File

Then I filed my F.D.C for PTSD

After I filed that  I had an Evaluation done from the VA   a L.C.S.W did it  and then he sent me to see a Phyistrist ,  they ask you a lot of questions about what you did in the military/MOS ect,,ect,,  and about what you witness as a trauma event &  ask about your pre military  if you had mental problems before military  or if you were abused as a child by parents or any relatives & a lot of other questions about your behavior.

it gets pretty personal and they give you a list of questions on paper to answer the best and honest way you feel...Do you ever think about killing your self or others or have you attempted to?..this is called Suicide Idention

If you have all the DSM 5 questions & meet the criteria for the DSM 5  then you will be given a PTSD Diagnose.

You will talk with the MH Dr's about your symptoms and then they diagnose your PTSD According to your symptoms as mild/severe/chronic, although they use the DSM 5 to determine this.

you then need to request to see a  VA  Phyistrist for treatment Immediately & also a VA Therapist...Request to see these people at least once a week  (if your able to?) I know its hard if you live far away from your VA  but do try to see them at least 2 times a month, Depending on how bad your PTSD Symptoms are  if you have Chronic PTSD like me  then you really need to see them as much as you possibly can for Meds that can help.

This has two reason  1.  you need the treatment and hopefully start to fee better  & 2.  The more medical notes you can get Helps Tremendously with your PTSD Claim 

You should Request your C-FILE and also your STR'S & Military Service Records as evidence to help support your claim.

Request your C-File from The new Dept of Veterans affairs evidence claims intake Center from Janesville Wi....Request your military service Records from the National Archives Military Personal Center in St Louis Mo.

if you have a CIB you don't have to prove your in-service stressors of the event or events.

Note: It is crucial that you lay it on them in your ''statement in support of claim'' tell your story about what happen the events and when they occurred & where  , how this has effect you and your family, how your behavior has change  and the grief you put your family & friends through , if you have SI  and also mention you don't have any friends because of your behavior  have your spouse/G/F write a statement that will support your claim   What you write in your statement in support your claim is crucial to help support your claim then all your evidence to back you up.

And Always be honest with all your Answers.

Good Luck with your Claims

JMO (just my opinion)

...............Buck

Edited by Buck52
Clarification FDC-ITF Claims

Thanks for the advice brothers. My symptoms are basically, feeling numb all the time, anxiety nearly every day, extrodinary anger issues, suicidal thoughts occasionally, serious memory problems, insomnia and sometimes nightmares, homicidal thoughts all the damn time, hardcore boozing, terrible migraines, paranoia(doors gotta be closed, shades closed, eyes on entry points, always armed) random mood swings and generally being a prick. Those just some of the mental things I got going on, not to mention physical ones

Edited by reddevil04