• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Testimony About Varo Bad Faith

Rate this question

Guest fla_viking

Question

Guest fla_viking

Dear Fellow Veterans & Friends

this is testimony taken from James R Fischl the director american legion 2002.

"Two weeks ago the American Legion quality review team visited St Petersburg RO. While there we were confronted with graphic evidence of premature and erroneous denials of claims. A general lack of compliance with the veteerans claims assistance act rules and other types of inapropreate actions. there were cases in which veterans recived letters there claims were being dismissed because there military records have been destroyed in the 1972 fire. The problem was that these veterans got out of service years after the fire took place

At the St petersburg some of the American Legion cases had been remanded by the board more than 5 years ago and still waiting for RO action.

Two things amazes me about this testimony. Veterans still feel they can reason with these folks. A appeal driectly to BVA after RO denial is still quicker than an appeal 2 or 3 years latter after a DRO bad faith review and denial.

The American Legion is making its vets wait over 5 years for a RO ruling and they do nothing to move the case along. Myself I file Writ of Mandamus after 1 1/2 years. I think the american legion is affraid of the VA and allows the VA to screw its vets over. I have always said the service organizatons work withiin the fram work the VA sets for a vets claim. Allot of times the frame work of the VA is on a rotten foundaton.

As long as veterans try to play the game the way the VA has it set up. I can promise you the VA has rigged it and you will come out a looser.

Terry Higgins

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Pete, not wanting to get political here but what makes you think things will be better under the Dems? All of them regardless of party treat vets like crap. We are a drain on their pork barrel funds the need to toss around to insure they are re-elected. JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

Ricky:

My intention was to point out that over site the system of checks and balances will be back in play. The Republicans have had no real opposition of been held accountable for years.

I did not say that Democrats will treat us any better but for the last few years its seems that on critical votes for Veterans the Republicans vote against us and the Democrats Vote for us.

Like Florida I am a life long Dem having grown up in Texas where you could not really elect a dogcatcher unless he was a Democrat until 12 years ago.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

When the government is involved persistance is your best weapon. Once it is obvious that you will not go away, there is a strong desire to resolve the issue (one way or another)

Terry

I agree that there is tons of bad faith at the VARO in St. Petersburg, but I did win my DRO appeal at St. Pete in less than a year. What I think is that once the VARO has dug in their heels on a claimant then the only way out may be to go to the BVA. Before that point is reached their is hope via the DRO process. I have used it three times and won at least a large portion of my claims. I went to the BVA and was remanded back to the St Pete Office and it then took me two more years via another decision and a DRO appeal to get my increase and my IU. In all it took me over 5 years to go from 30% to 70% using the BVA and the RO.

Berta,

I appreciate the information but I said "I have seen", not others have seen. I try to use my own experience whenever possible because often sources for other information are unreliable or contain special instances that are not known. I trust your input, and know that when you say something it's correct and relevant to the facts at hand. I cannot say that for all however. So, when I say I have seen, I mean I personally have handled an advocacy claim. Now I know that there are a great many situation that I have little or no knowlege of, thats why I ask here, but still, I have yet to get a substantial back pay at the VARO level, or one in excess of 15K. I currently have a CUE going to BVA, that was denied at the VARO level and is glaringly obvious. MY only conclusion is that they simply do not, or can not grant such a large back pay amount and are stalling. Its that obvious...

Thank you though, I will add your info into my process.

Bob Smith

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • KMac1181 went up a rank
      Rookie
  • Our picks

• I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 3 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use