VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IMO from Dr. Anaise, CKD

Rate this question

Palma114

Question

On 8/24/2016, VARO made a decision on my Chronic kidney disease claim. They granted me a 60% rating, on CKD stage 3, and Definite decrease in kidney function. I was initially at stage 4 CKD and sick, so they put me on several medications to get my numbers to come down, well after about 45 days it drop from stage 4 failure to moderate stage 3. So I initially filed my claim back in 2004, as all of this was occurring. So I just recently filed a NOD, which states I should have been granted 80%, for stage 4 CKD.

So the C&P Examiner in 2015, never mentioned that I was ever at stage 4. So they only rated me on my now medical status, which is stage 3. So I got an IMO from Dr. Anaise, and he states: A BVA decision in a similar case dated October 26, 2012 states (David Jones, Appellant v. Eric K. Shinseki, Docket No. 11-2704):

The court holds that the Board committed legal error by considering the effects of medication on the appellant's IBS when those effects were not explicitly contemplated by the rating criteria...As this Court has made clear, the Board's consideration of factors which are wholly outside the rating criteria provided by the regulations is error as a matter of law. "Massey v. Brown, 7 Vet. App. 204, 208 (1994); see also Drosky v. Brown, 10 Vet. App. 251, 255 (1997) (finding legal error where the Board, "in essence, impermissibly rewrote" the regulation by considering factors wholly outside the rating criteria); Pemorio v. Derwinski, 2 Vet. App. 625, 628 (1992) ("In using a standard that exceeded that found in the regulation, the Board committed legal error").

Conclusion

After reviewing all of the veteran's medical and military records, it is my expert medical opinion that the veteran's service-connected renal dysfunction warrants an 80% rating. It is abundantly clear from the record that the veteran was diagnosed with stage IV renal failure with a creatinine of 4.5. It is true that the creatinine has improved once medication allowed for some recovery of kidney function. Yet, the rating specifically states that the veteran is entitle to 80% disability when his creatinine rises to 4.5, with no disclaimer to that statement.

A higher evaluation of 80% based on renal function is not warrant unless there is:

* Persistent edema and albuminuria; or, * Creatinine 4 to 8mg%; or, * BUN 40 to 80mg;

Edited by Palma114

17 hours ago, gbat said:

I filed a loss of organ ( kidney due to cancer ) claim. It is in the gathering evidence claim. I think they are requesting my service and va medical notes. Of course nothing will be there since I got out of service 23 years ago. I filed this due to chemical exposure TCE over twelve year period. A WRII doctor said it is as likey as not that it could of came from exposure. Also said I smoked for twenty years and that has been known to cause cancer. Would this Doctor be qualified to do an IMO on cancer matter? Should I wait until denial comes in then get IMO? Any thoughts? I have NOD in for PTSD for over year now. That started in 2012, but VSO set me up with private shrink for a year and intial diagnos must come from VA. SO that was wasted year for benefit. ( Did help me mentally )

I don't know gbat, but I have read Dr. Anaise has helped people on other medical conditions other than Sleep Apnea and PTSD.  I would simply give him a call and see what he says, it won't cost anything but a small amount of your time....

I will be using this thread as well, since Palma114,  and I share almost the same. Palma114 is stage 4 while Mine is Loss of Use.

Ordered my C-file. Waited 9 months for it. Uploaded it to my "storage bin" on the cloud that day so that I can have it off-site, out-of-state, and able to make copies for future IMOs/IMEs. That is right I am now not just stopping on one, but will get a handful more for the other SC. (Drew up a missions plan and success pyramid, which is posted in my bathroom mirror, so every day I am reminded that the VA will not win but I shall.)  This morning went to the post office to mail Dr. Anaise a large envelope with Certified Mail that contained a copy of the C-file on a Memorex Black CD-R and a dozen pages of medical documents that showed it was during service. Spoke with the doctor over the phone last month, after receiving my certified check of 1500 for the IMO via USPS Certified Mailed. 

Once I receive the IMO I will post a snippet here, as well as the progress with the appeal process for my claim.

Submitted the IMO on 7/17/2017. 

It was 6 pages. I did majority of the work by going through my C-file and printing off the exact doctor visits while in service, looked up dozens of decision/citations, picked the ones that I liked and saved, then printed them. It took two weeks to have him complete it and two days before I received it via snail mail.

Palma.....I sing the praises of Dr. Anaise's work but I get slammed by some saying I'm advertising for him.  I don't get these negative thinking people and why they can't see it is opening eyes and tipping off where good work can be found.  I have been the victim of poorly presented IMO using less persuasive rationales and that is why I am in this appeal fix today..   He did a fab job on my SA appeal.....no I have yet to have DRO Hearing but I'm an intelligent man and I know strong evidence and deeper rationales matters and they must come from a certified MD.  I appreciate the effort he took to spell it all out! 

Edited by Wayne TX
spell check

Wayne, I went through that years ago when I sang praises to Dr Bash. Someone here kept calling Dr Bash "my Boy", and insinuated I was somehow being paid to say how good he was.

I had read many  BVA decisions that he opined on as Dr C.B .or sometimes as Dr. Craig Bash.

I also have a copy of a letter from former VA Sec Mansfield to him, thanking him for his well prepared opinions that have helped many veterans. ( Dr B had gone to the General Counsel tyo complain because in one BVA case the VA (probably in the SOC) had referred to him negatively as "that neuro-radiologist" and tried to undermine his opinion.

The original IMO criteria I developed  here or maybe on the older hadit board , was based on exactly how he wrote his IMOs for me, and what they covered, with a full medical rationale.

Dr. Bash worked for the VA himself many years ago, before he left for private practice and knew how they could deny, even with an IMO,if it was not well prepared.

Dr Bash is not 'my boy"- he is "the Man"- if the claimant has the right evidence that the VA needs and if  their C & P is the main reason they were denied.

My claim was for death due to DMII.(AO) It only took 6 years..and .with another battle to get the cash.( it involved A LOT of cash )

Edited by Berta
9 hours ago, Wayne TX said:

Palma.....I sing the praises of Dr. Anaise's work but I get slammed by some saying I'm advertising for him.  I don't get these negative thinking people and why they can't see it is opening eyes and tipping off where good work can be found.  I have been the victim of poorly presented IMO using less persuasive rationales and that is why I am in this appeal fix today..   He did a fab job on my SA appeal.....no I have yet to have DRO Hearing but I'm an intelligent man and I know strong evidence and eep rationales matter and they must come from a certified MD.  I appreciate the effort he took to spell it all out! 

Wayne TX,

Dr. Anaise, IMO/Nexus are very good, and he has the medical certifications backing him!  ($1500.00)

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use