Sponsored Ads

• Latest Donations

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
murpman42

VA Disabled Vet 80% Combined Rating

Question

Hi, I am new here, I recently was awarded 70% for mental health issues which is secondary to my service connected disabilities and was previously rated at 40%, now combined rating of 80%.

Each of the my service connected disabilities total 40% - 10% each. I won't detail them out, no need.

Since I was medically discharged from the Army rated at 10% in 2005, I have had 7 jobs and have more and more issues with each one since I started them.

My longest job I have had was my first job out of the Army and it was working for my father-in-law, who retired after 5 years working from him. I had issues there, like I quit and went back to work for him twice because of communication problems and other issues dealing with him treating me like a child.

I have difficulty remembering things due to meds and it causes a great deal of issues at work meetings where I have to ask several times to repeat what was said either during the meeting or after the meeting. The other issue i have is being able to be attentive enough to be wary of what is going on since I do not sleep very well due to sleep apnea and I am in the process of filing a claim for that now.

Can I claim TDIU in regards to my disability ratings, I am 40% service connected disabilities with an additional 70% secondary mental health rating, combined rating at 80%?

Why do some vets call it IU and some call it TDIU? Is this the same thing?

Last question - when does a vet qualify for an id card with medical coverage for dependents? If I was granted TDIU at 100% would I be granted medical coverage for my dependents?

If you get a 100% P & T award the family is eligible for CHAMPVA and Chapter 35 DEA educational benefits.

I have both and they are wonderful. There are often some additional benefits as well.

By all means file the TDIU claim ...same as IU ...VA form 21-8940.

Do you get SSDI and is it solely for the SCs? If so that award is good evidence for TDIU.

Or if VA Voc Rehab ever turned you down solely due to your SCs.

• Like 2

Ad

1 hour ago, Berta said:

If you get a 100% P & T award the family is eligible for CHAMPVA and Chapter 35 DEA educational benefits.

I have both and they are wonderful. There are often some additional benefits as well.

By all means file the TDIU claim ...same as IU ...VA form 21-8940.

Do you get SSDI and is it solely for the SCs? If so that award is good evidence for TDIU.

Or if VA Voc Rehab ever turned you down solely due to your SCs.

Berta laid it out perfect.  She is one of the most, if not the most insightful at Hadit.  I recommend using SSDI and VR&E to support your claim for TDIU P&T.  Have your spouse assist you with this task.  The best document to support your claim will always be a Doctor's  Medical Opinion.  Preferably a VA doctor A.K.A Mental Health.  Should you receive TDIU P&T be sure to not become a 22 statistic.  STAY BUSY!! Good Luck!

Berta,

So based on my current disability rating I can file for TDIU, because it specifically requires certain criteria in order to file and be approved?

I am meeting with my VA mental health professional next month (earliest appt I could get) to discuss my issues. 

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by murpman42

murpman42,

While we're waiting for Berta to comment, let me say that it's been my observation that when TDIU is filed for mental conditions ALONE, more times than not, if it's awarded, it will be temporary TDIU.

Also to qualify, at least one of your service connected disabilities has to be 40% or more; there is however a complicated exception to this rule, which is a case-by-case basis.

I am 80% - 10% for four different things, then 70% for mental health condition related to my knee injury.

My question at this point could I qualify based on the above. I am having a lot of difficulty working while on my meds for pain and depression.

My job requires a lot of meetings that also require taking notes and it is hard to remember things.