VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep apena

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

I've been reading up on this sleep apena thing and the Neurologist at my VA hospital wanted me to do a sleep study. I said I'm not aware of me snoring but ok I'll do the home test. My wife then says to me you snore in your sleep a couple times a month. I laughed at first until she Im being serious. Lucky I don't sleep on the floor. Do you have to snore every night to have sleep apena? 

3 answers to this question

I'm not sure about the snoring part of it, but I know the sleep study test gauges how many times you stop breathing and for how long with an hour time period. The hard part about doing the home test is that they need a full 6-8 hours of in-bed/sleep time as uninterrupted as possible. 

What symptoms do you have, daytime somnolence, memory issues, concentration issues, etc?

Snoring is a possible symptom of OSA (Obstructive SA), not necessarily a symptom of CSA (Central SA). Generally speaking, with OSA, Males will have a BMI in excess of 27+%, a neck in the 17++ inch, and a Large tongue.  All people that snore, don't necessarily have OSA, however just about all people with OSA do snore.

Overnight Sleep studies can take 3 nights if Apnea episodes are detected on the 1st night. VA has started using the "At Home Sleep Study" as a screening tool. Simple hook up, no cameras or medical personnel necessary, much cheaper.

I never got more than 4 1/2 hrs sleep during any of the (3) nights back in 2010.

Yeha I took the test took two days and the machine said I about 4 hours of sleep... much of my memory issues is related to my TBI and there would be no way to differentiate between what causes my symptoms that all are attributed to my severe tbi rated at 100% now. Other then me having a BMI of 28 and a neck of 17 my waist is still only 34....

Edited by jfrei